Best Ice Fishing Flasher - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Ice Fishing Flasher

Hey Everyone! I was curious to anyone/everyones opinion on the best ice fishing flasher. I'm new to them; therefore I'd like to know if anyone can provide the best models/brands so I get the most for my money! Appreciate it!
Smallieman37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've yet to own one since I fish most small shallower bodies of water that I know pretty well. I'm looking to "get in the game" this year so to speak. I'm really liking the Garmin striker 4 and I've been doing a lot of homework on them. It has a pretty good sonar function and a flasher mode as well. Built in gps and a portable bag. 200 bucks puts it well below the price of most also. I can't seem to find if it comes with an ice ducer or if you have to purchase it seperately. Some say the one it comes with is satisfactory some say it isn't. If anyone owns one or can clarify the transducer situation that'd be awesome to get some input on.
Polish Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallieman37 View Post
Hey Everyone! I was curious to anyone/everyones opinion on the best ice fishing flasher. I'm new to them; therefore I'd like to know if anyone can provide the best models/brands so I get the most for my money! Appreciate it!
- Do you have to have a "flasher" or would you consider a graph/sonar as well? I have some input for you about my Lowrance graph if you choose that route.

- How much do you have to spend?

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Joe. I'll have to look into that. After the last two seasons, i've become impatient trying to find the fish! I could be fishing in 5 to 40ft depths at times!

Fonzie - I'm interested in a flasher and no I don't currently own one. I've seen people use them, but I'm new to it! I don't want to spend more than $350. I know that I can get the Marcum LX-3TCi for like $325 and the videos I've watched are very helpful
Smallieman37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

After fishing along other people with my Vexilar for years I switched to Marcum after seeing the detail on them.
I picked up a new Marcum VX 1P for $285 from Amazon 3 years ago and love it.
I can get so engrossed in the dial that I don't notice I have 2 inches of snow on me

You can get a new Marcum VX-1i from Amazon for $264
https://www.amazon.com/Marcum-VX-1i-...g_sims?ie=UTF8
Old 11-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

The two most bullet proof flashers out there are two that I own and love. The Vexilar FL-8 and the Vexilar FL-18. Easy to use.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCreel View Post
The two most bullet proof flashers out there are two that I own and love. The Vexilar FL-8 and the Vexilar FL-18. Easy to use.
They are rock solid. Aside from replacing the battery and getting a different transducer I've been using the same fl-8 since around 2002. It has never let me down and has paid for itself 100 times over, if it broke down today I would buy another one tommorrow. Anytime I'm fishing deeper than 5ft, I don't leave home without it.
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default No Issues with my own Vex

Runs like a champ.
Halfwaythere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm a Vex (FL-8) man as well.
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

had vexilar since they were first made. Gave todd todd some of our very old machines a few years back for his library of old units. Ran an fl18 for the longest and loved it. Went to a Marcum lx5 because of the volume of guys we used to fish with so you wouldn't get interfered . Hated the unit. Transducer is as heavy as a bowling ball have to take the whole unit out of the water if you did not want to get tangled sometimes. Constantly bending over etc. went back to my fl18 ultra pack and will never use anything else.
washhusky102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in