Turbo-charged Cordless Drill for Augering - Page 10 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #91 (permalink)

What is that? you ask. It's the latest mod/upgrade/addition to this long saga.

I've been trying to lighten my load over these last two seasons. Last year, I pulled out the built-in seat assembly from my Clam flip-over, replaced it with a bucket and lost 13 lbs of weight. Next I pulled out all the shanty lighting, wiring, switches and 12v battery powering it all and lost another 8 lbs. Now I use a couple of AAA powered 27 bulb LED lights that weigh a few ounces each for shanty lighting.

This year I wanted to shed some more weight and have a smaller footprint of all the gear I lug around so I did this:

If you've followed this thread, it's about powering a 19.2v drill for augering using 2 "Vexilar" batteries putting out 24v using an external battery pack.

Sometimes the pack goes into a backpack

It takes a lot of room and has the weight of 2 additional batteries. Still not bad compared to a heavy, smelly gas auger. I waned to ditch the pack and eliminate one of the 3 batteries I need (one for the locator, two for the drill)

Standard Vexilar battery setup

New modification

The batteries are still wired in series providing 24v, yet my new harness taps in and provides 12v for the locator

24v line out for the drill

Finished setup

I beefed up and and reinforced the power cable and replaced the crappy old lamp cord with a very tough, high amp cord.

I took it out for a spin this after noon and it was perfect. My shanty was lighter, had more less clutter and the whole thing worked like a charm and was more convenient than I imagined. I only wish I had done it sooner,

Oh, and nothing was altered on the Vexilar, it's wiring or carrying pack. My harness unclips and the flasher quickly can become the same 12v setup it was when it came out of the box.

If you were to do one of these mods, just be super careful with the wiring. 24v would likely fry your locator depending on the model. I'd also recommend briefly turning off the flasher while drilling to avoid any surges, strange pulses or drill motor electrical noise from being sent into it.

Next project: I just got a non-working Yamaha pro synthesizer for a steal. I've already cracked it open. Let's see if it's fixable...

Old 01-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #92 (permalink)

Here's the mod for this ice season,

No, I didn't invent the battery box or the idea of putting lights in a shanty, but here's mine and probably unique for my needs made from an old tackle box.

I removed the 3 tiers of tackle trays leaving just one big open compartment. Many know (this thread) I devised a way a few years back to power my 19.2v drill used for augering with 24 volts from two sealed lead acid batteries wired in series.

The box supplies 24 volts out the top for the auger

and both 12v and 5 volts via usb on the front panel

I power the shanty lights via a cigarette lighter plug and the usbs will charge my phone or my tablet that I use with my Vexilar FishPhone underwater camera system. The cigarette outlet can power most anything, a TV, radio, mirrored disco ball, flasher or 110v AC inverter. I use a 9ah battery for the 12v side for a little more capacity and there's a regular 7ah for the secondary. The switch is just on/off for the 12v and 5v outlets.

Inside wiring, not too complicated, but provides both the 24v and 12v simultaneously

Hopefully the ideas might help someone out. I also added a very bright modded bar of LED lights in the shanty powered via a cigarette port on the battery box.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #93 (permalink)

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonG View Post

What is that? you ask. It's the latest mod/upgrade/addition to this long saga.

I've been trying to lighten my load over these last two seasons. Last year, I pulled out the built-in seat assembly from my Clam flip-over, replaced it with a bucket and lost 13 lbs of weight. Next I pulled out all the shanty lighting, wiring, switches and 12v battery powering it all and lost another 8 lbs. Now I use a couple of AAA powered 27 bulb LED lights that weigh a few ounces each for shanty lighting.

This year I wanted to shed some more weight and have a smaller footprint of all the gear I lug around so I did this:

If you've followed this thread, it's about powering a 19.2v drill for augering using 2 "Vexilar" batteries putting out 24v using an external battery pack.

Sometimes the pack goes into a backpack

It takes a lot of room and has the weight of 2 additional batteries. Still not bad compared to a heavy, smelly gas auger. I waned to ditch the pack and eliminate one of the 3 batteries I need (one for the locator, two for the drill)

Standard Vexilar battery setup

New modification

The batteries are still wired in series providing 24v, yet my new harness taps in and provides 12v for the locator

24v line out for the drill

Finished setup

I beefed up and and reinforced the power cable and replaced the crappy old lamp cord with a very tough, high amp cord.

I took it out for a spin this after noon and it was perfect. My shanty was lighter, had more less clutter and the whole thing worked like a charm and was more convenient than I imagined. I only wish I had done it sooner,

Oh, and nothing was altered on the Vexilar, it's wiring or carrying pack. My harness unclips and the flasher quickly can become the same 12v setup it was when it came out of the box.

If you were to do one of these mods, just be super careful with the wiring. 24v would likely fry your locator depending on the model. I'd also recommend briefly turning off the flasher while drilling to avoid any surges, strange pulses or drill motor electrical noise from being sent into it.

Next project: I just got a non-working Yamaha pro synthesizer for a steal. I've already cracked it open. Let's see if it's fixable...

Ron, if you are serious about lightening the load lose the adapter and extra batteries. Keep your auger blades sharp and cut by hand. Ice rarely gets that thick in Illinois. I'd rather have that comfy seat than the electric auger. JMHO
May never need to lie.
fishinnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in