Chain 12-22 Just enough for a nice lil' fish fry... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chain 12-22 Just enough for a nice lil' fish fry...

Got out to the chain out of Oak Park for a short trip this morning. Started out fishing between 11 and 14 FOW and was met with large schools of baaaaaah, baaaaaah, baaaaaah. After catching a half-dozen or so, I switched over to plastics and immediately popped a nice 16" walleye. Over the next few hours I managed to pick off a handful of keeper crappies and a bunch of throwbacks. The throwback to keeper ratio was probably about 3:1:

The sun popped out for a bit around 10:30 or so and that was the end of the bite I was on. Made a move to join the masses for a while in some deeper water, and found a few whites and many more sheepies. Decided to end the trip by going back in shallower, visiting my starting location. Upon returning, I was disappointed to find that a rumnut had commandeered my most productive hole, leaving his "set-up" unattended while he was out playing grab with his buddies from the old country:

I took this as a sign from the Ice Gods to call it a day...will be back out somewhere Friday with Wash to Christen my new shanty.

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice job Tim! Maybe you should have played grab with them and they would have relinquished your spot!

Excellent
Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

Whats the size limit for Eye's on the chain, 16 inches is a tiny keeper Eye.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikimahn
Whats the size limit for Eye's on the chain, 16 inches is a tiny keeper Eye.
Pretty sure size limit is 14 inches. 16 inches is actually the perfect size for eating, IMO.... I also believe there is a protected slot on the Fox Chain of 18-24". So what does that leave to eat? Well, 14-17" fish, and fish over 24", that don't taste nearly as good. Never fished the chain though so I could be wrong. Nothing wrong with a 16" walleye.
Ed1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow what a Rumnut I bet he had some dough balls on that rig

Nice 16 INCH WALLEYE you have Tim Dam you keep everything these days

See ya Friday
washhusky102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

nice job Tim!!!! Glad to see someone else out getting some fish. Nice eye. As for the size limit Ed is right 3 fish between 14" & 18" and one over 24". As for eaters that is a perfect one. Glad to see some plastic is starting to pop as I've been getting them to come up on the bait but they don't take it. Messed with colors and have only found one so far that works other than glow which we all know works. Making a trip up nort with "The Enforcer" tom and hope it goes well.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

you could have offered him Wodka and asked nicely and I'm sure he would have given you his hole. Ya Ya Ya Mooshie Mooshie Mooshie
Marabou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikimahn
16 inches is a tiny keeper Eye.

OMG, that has got to be one of the funniest things I have read on CLF in the last couple of years...Thanks for the laugh.

Seriously though, others in this thread have already given you the details on the chain slot limit for eyes. Last week I got a 19" slot protected fish that was returned. A few years back I caught one around 26" on Pistakee (pics of both are on CLF). That fish has no idea how lucky it was to be caught be me and returned, rather than making an appearance as the main course at Tiki's next Sunday dinner.....

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Very Nice Fluke
Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

I know it's good eating, but it's a tiny keeper. A 16 inch eye prolly hasn't even had spawned once. If it's a male theres a chance it's spawned once or twice. That's too small for a female to have spawned at all.

So laugh all you want, at least i was smart enough to do a lil research(size and creel limits are a pain to find on the net) and ask about the size limits over there.

Keep all you want, as im positive we don't fish the same waters I don't care. As for me keeping an illegal fish, never. I'm strictly C&R. I don't enjoy freshwater fish, especially when you live near Argon National like i do.

Good eating or not, their getting set free by me, we have enough bucket heads in my area.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in