BWCA ideas - Page 3 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Just booked EP 52 (Brant Lake). Going to do a loop and hopefully make it to the south arm of Knife lake and visit the first spot I camped at 3 years ago. Going in June 20th. Seagull will be helping me with a bunkhouse and a shower or two. I even bought a canoe from them. Good folks.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

Labman, sound like a good trip. How long are you planning on being out? Last time I was up there, I stayed on Ogish, and made a short trip to the South Arm of Knife. From what I saw, Knife is a beautiful lake with crystal clear water.
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

I will be in for 6 days. I hope I can last 6 days and being solo. Sounds like I will be doing almost exactly what you did. My first day I should get to Gibi. After that, I plan on camping on the same site I stayed at on my first trip on the South arm of Knife. The first trip, we started at Moose lake EP25 I think.That area was in the "burn" area.

Nice lakers there:

My days are spent think about this trip that isnt for 4 months.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Place looks cold I'll do my solo work in Loozy.

Have fun. Hey I got to do any baby sitting?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

LetsGoFishing, I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I have put in at Kawishi Lake twice in the past 4 years, so I will share what I know and hope it doesn't bore you.
The entry is about an hour and 45 minutes from Ely, so if you want an early start, you really have to start early! The entry is very well marked and cared for with a fairly large parking lot. I was last there this past September and there were about 9 vehicles in the lot. There is no trouble with vandalism per our outfitter, and my truck was fine there for 5 days. Even with that many vehicles in the lot, we did not see a lot of other people.
Each time we have entered there it has always been a bit of a challenge to find the exit that takes you down the "stream" to Square Lake. Seems kind of hard to find hidden behind the islands and so many small bays to check that look like exits. There were 3 beaver dams to either pull the canoe over or portage around depending on one's mood between Kawishiwi L and Square L.
I have always stayed at Polly the first night because thats as far as my 55 year old body will take me in one day! By the time I get that far I don't have the energy to tackle the 48 and 127 rod portages to Koma L. I might add that Koma Lake is loaded with barely submerged boulders. Navigating through them is akin to working one's way through a minefield. You may know from being in the BWCA before, but the island campsites are usually short on firewood, and the small island on Polly L is pretty well picked clean.
Last time I was up there we continued on to Adams L. which had excellent smallmouth and northern fishing. Malberg has beautiful scenery, but I have never stopped there.
If you continue past Malberg to the Kawishiwi River, the entry into the river was a mudhole that you could lose your boots in. A new area to put into the river is just a little to the right of the mudhole. We didn't find it until we were coming back out and really didn't want to deal with the mud and muck again.
As we were leaving, we ran into some folks from the US geological survey. They were headed up to the Malberg L/ Kawishiwi R area to do some studies of known wolf packs in the area. They wanted to trap and put radio transmitting collars on some for tracking. Just a little tidbit of info that is good to know.
Hope this has been of interest to you. If you have any other specific questions let me know and I will do my best to try to answer them.
Have fun! I can't get there this year.
Feens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'd stick with the Gunflint. I went in through poplar last year, parked the van at the Windigo lodge on poplar and headed in through Liz lake and caribou. Great fishing in there, i would highly recommend that trip. Not crowded at all, great campsites, the whole deal.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for the additional info Feens. I've heard that the stream into Square can be tricky to find. I'm the oldest of our group, at 30. We're all in decent shape. I am planning on shoving off at dawn and single portaging, so I am pretty confident we'll be able to make Malberg in one day. I'm really looking forward to it.

thefinnishminnow, I already booked my permit for Kiwishiwi Lake. Several years ago, I entered at Poplar and stayed on Gaskin. It was a beautiful paddle. I'd go that way again, but I wanted to try someplace different this time.

I haven't even left for my June trip yet, and I'm already planning my next one. I wish I had more vacation time.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

:P
My wife is ready to go with me.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

You got her in the canoe and she got hooked, huh?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

I was just looking at googlemaps of kawishiwi lake there. Is there somewhat of a stream to get up to square lake? If not, you are looking at some long portages! Let us know how it goes, i havn't really heard much about that area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in