Any place in the Chicagoland area for flathead? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any place in the Chicagoland area for flathead?

Is there any place near the Chicagoland area for flathead? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanx.- Perchey.
Ed Perchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

The fox river. I would think most rivers would hold them. Mops
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Kankakee and Iroquois have an emerging population that seem to have more and bigger fish every year.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

i would say the desplains river in certain areas. the fox river, i would trie a blue gill on a big hook at the warm water discharge at the sanitary and ship canal and see what happens , in the summer i saw some pretty big cats over 15 pound feeding on the shads and watever else that was there
southisidefisherman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, the rivers would give you the best opportunities for Flatheads up north here. There are some big Flatheads and Blues in Braidwood. And Lasalle has a very good population of big Blues - probably your best bet in northern Illinois for big Blues. But for the best opportunities in Illinois for big Flatheads I think you'd have to head south a bit to central Illinois. Clinton & Powerton lakes have very good populations of flatheads and monsters at that. Shelbyville has some good ones too. Or west to the Mississippi. But, I think your best bet up north here for bigger cats - if you're not too picky about specie, is Lasalle's Blues. Lasalle has a world class Blue Catfish fishery. Or at least did a few years back. Cut bait and drifting is the way to go...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

LaSalle is not a world class Blue Catfish Lake. Some very nice cats, but world class....?????
buxndux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxndux View Post
LaSalle is not a world class Blue Catfish Lake. Some very nice cats, but world class....?????
When guys are calling me from other states inquiring on where to find them, then "yes" I'd say it's "world class"!!! You may not get the monster sizes you get out in California or down south. But, the average size and potential sizes are very good at Lasalle. And your chances of catching some quality numbers of Blues are also very good. Where else in the Chicago area can you catch big catfish regularly out of a lake? The rivers change often and are much harder to pattern than Lasalle. And I don't know any of the local rivers that offer the same potential as Lasalle...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rock River for flats. Go south to Powerton for big blues and some big flats.

Proud Member of The Soggy Bottom Boys!
WNE Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

In northern Illinois, I would recommend the Fox river for flatheads over fishing in the cooling lakes which have large numbers of channel and blue cats competing for forage.

The top end flatheads in the Fox aren't as big as the Rock or Mississippi, but they're easier to locate on the smaller body of water. If you're after a true monster (50+) then the Rock river or Mississippi is probably a safer bet, but for sheer numbers the Fox is probably better.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in