Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports - View Single Post - Shimano Spinning Reels
» CLF Sponsors
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wallidave

Yep, it's really just a preference thing on my part and actually I should have said, "in case I haven't set my drag correctly." I really don't have any criticism about a reels drag. I can't even remember when I started back reeling but I'm thinking it was probably around the time I discovered Hybrid Striper fishing at the cooling lakes back in the 80's. Better have your drag set right for those express trains.

I don't have trouble landing fish while back reeling. When the fish is close enough to land I just hold the bail / spool with my rear three fingers on my right hand to prevent the reel from turning. If the fish takes off again I just feather the bail and spool with those fingers. I know, caveman fishing. lol!

My 20yo son is a pro at back reeling as well.

I noticed before they eliminated the feature the switch to turn it on/off got real small and I had to make a mental note where it was for that split second run on those wipers. I also noticed with the elimination of the feature the price for the new reels hasn't dropped at all.