Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports - View Single Post - Bullhead Lake - 02/22/2019 - fair
» CLF Sponsors
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
OZ
Administrator

Default Bullhead Lake - 02/22/2019 - fair

Fished one of the far channels (25 minute walk) and more sniffers than biters. Almost all the fish seemed to be in 5 to 10 FOW with 8 foot holding the most.

Once again it was PalosBob with his plastics VS me and my live bait. He was outfishing me as the plastics seemed to be attracting fish in VS my live bait (piece of redworm on various jigs). I did finally manage to catch a few gills some being pretty small, around 4.5 inches or so. I then decided to join the dark side and switched to plastics. They definitely seemed to draw fish in but getting them to bit was another matter. There was about a 30 minute period that the fish cooperated but then they went back to mostly "sniffing". Near the end I went back to live bait and landed a few more fish.

We both landed one crappie each, seems they were moving so if you saw suspended fish you would have a minute or two before they moved out.

We also landed some largemouth but nothing huge. Most were 6 to 8 inch, one may have made 11 or 13 inches.

Ice was 6 inches thick although some of the northern shoreline was open water.

Ended up bringing back 8 gills(7 - 8 inches) and 2 crappies (8.5 - 9 inches). Probably caught 3 - 4 times the amount of gills but as stated earlier they were small ones.

OZ is offline   Reply With Quote