Slug ? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jekhoff
Default Slug ?

Gun season is fast approaching us. I recently bought a 20 gauge slug gun. I was wondering which sabot slug you guys recommend. I've been trying to read up on the ballistics and all that but I want to know what the guys on here prefer.
jekhoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I shoot the sst's and they have worked well for me, the deer I have shot with them have all gone down with in 5 yards of where they we shot.

best bet is to pick a few types and take them to the rage and see which one works better in your gun.

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure what gun you bought, but I'm assuming it has a fully rifled barrell? If so, then yes, saboted slugs are the way to go. If it's smoothbore, then sabots may not be the way to go. If you have a rifled choke tube, it can go either way, but generally sabots work best from fully rifled barrels.

With that said, different slugs will perform differently out of different guns, depending on the rate of twist and the ballistics of the slug. My daugher's 20 ga. wound up shooting the Hornady SST slugs the best, so that is what she is using. At 100 yds, the gun groups right at 2". The bullet performance is very good too, she shot an 8 pt. on opening day last year than ran roughly 15 yds before piling up.

I know they are expensive, but it may be worth the money to buy a couple of boxes of a few different brands to see which shoot the best out of your gun.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Mossberg 535 12 gauge; scoped, rifled barrel. I have shot nothing but the SST's. No deer yet but groups 2" at 100 yds. With this system the weak link is you. They are expensive but not significantly compared to the competition. Have your gun boresighted before sighting in. Will save you $$. Expect to use 1-2 boxes. Good luck.
mrmoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

sst's are the way the go- tried 4 different brands with my sons mossberg and my remington...both did the best with the hornady's
Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hornady SST or Breneckes
1QUACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, rifled sites or are you set up with a scope? Reason I ask is because if you only have rifled sites - even on a rifled barrel it's going to be difficult to tight group anything beyond 75 yards unless you're Clint Eastwood.

As mentioned you need to shoot a few boxes of different brands. And make sure you do everything right. A nice rest, take your time, etc. Also as mentioned, slugs ain't cheap and you want to make that initial investment count.

Every gun is different. And you do need to try different slugs through your gun to see what happens. For me, my 11-87 shot everything pretty darn close. BUT, it had trouble ejecting and feeding certain shells. If I remember correctly, it didn't like Federals at all. The Federals had a little "hairlip" on the brass and it would cause the second shell to jam up with the first one ejecting. Real fun to deal with in a tree stand! (BTW, my buddy's 1100 has the same problem. So, if any of you folks use either of these guns and have the same trouble, try changing slugs.) Anyway, due to their expense, I now open the 5 pack before buying and make sure there's no "hairlips".

Slugs are expensive. But, once you've sited yours in it should be good to go and you probably won't waste too many slugs. A lot depends on if you have to site it in every year. I have the removable barrel and I know I should check it before each season. But, after 12 years now it's been dead-on every time I put the barrel on so I don't bother anymore.

Since you're inquiring about Sabots, I'm guessing you have a rifled barel. When I use to have a smoothbore gun for deer, I used Brennecke's. I must say as far as damage goes, those things are BRUTAL! Obviously though, placement with any slug is key. So, I wouldn't read too much into ballistics and all that mumbo-jumbo. Just shoot several different brands and see where you're at.
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

With a rifled-barrel scoped Mossberg 500, the Hornady SST sabots work best in my gun. They shoot flat, almost rifle accurate. But, don't use them in a non rifled barrel. Use a slug designed for non rifled, smooth bore barrels.
But, they're not cheap to use, $10-$13 a box. And, it's never fun sighting in a 12 ga!
walleyenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

get a lead sled - they really do make sighting in pretty painless

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Little King
get a lead sled - they really do make sighting in pretty painless
Oh, I do have a sled. And, I use it to sight in, but, I like to practice the way I hunt. I can't take a sled up in a tree, so I like to practice without it.
walleyenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in