Where would you guys set up on this lease? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where would you guys set up on this lease?

I am going to hunt this 40 acre parcel in January with a bow. I never been there before and thought I'd ask some of you more experienced hunters where would be a good place or two to set up for say a Northern and a Southern type wind. This land is surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods on all sides, making it a hub (at least thats what i think). The fields are in grass/ hay. Owners keeps hay bales in those fields. I believe there is a small creek running North to South on the East portion of the woods. Also notice the powerlines cutting through the entire parcel (black line on map). Can you guys point out a funnel or a good place to catch a late season monster? I'm just trying to maximize my time as I'll only hunt this farm 3x before the season ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35acres.jpg (21.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png 35 updated.png (373.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by captain_ron; 12-16-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Adding more pics
captain_ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would be just north of smack dab in the middle.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tough to say, not knowing where your access points are. Don't wanna be trekking all through the woods, blowing deer outta there, just to get to one certain spot you like. From a strictly aerial standpoint, anywhere on the north half of that creekline, either side, could be used as a travel cooridor. Have you scouted it all? Taken any hikes for trails? Set up cameras on the trails? Glassed the fields? I would try a little low impact scouting first, if you don't have the time, any of those fields, or the clearcut where the powerlines are should hold deer on any given evening. From there it's just a matter of moving in and ambushing them the next day where you saw them come out at the night before
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, unfortunetly I havent step foot on this parcel yet. So I havent done any glassing, scouting etc. I'm saving that till after season. For now I'll try to keep a low profile and hunt it a couple of times. I'm going to try and work my way from the outside in so not to alarm the deer. North side by the creek line looks promising plus its near the road for easy access.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Too bad you can't use high power. You might want to sit in a tree stand for a few hours in the am and pm in the middle of the power line right of way to see where they are crossing. That might help to determine the best place to hunt.
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default where to hunt new parcel?

Like 'nitebite' said" just north of the middle" not a bad place to start. I like that you've gotten the pic's to scout ahead. Where you have access is key. If you can use the creek to get to a stand (waders or canoe) undetected by the deer,your odds go up. I'd set up observation stands, on high ground if possible, and not even worry too much about shooting a deer the first few times out. Figure out their patterns.Probably food right now is key,with cover from really bad weather in consideration(like pine stands). get a canoe and drift the length of the creek and look for deer crossings.Should be obvious this time of year where they are crossing. Not so much in the extreme cold but they will cross in milder winter conditions. Bring binoculars! Mid-day,when nothing is moving but squirrels,cut across one of those open fields and look for where the deer have bedded down overnight AND which way they went after they got up. That's where they are bedded down NOW! Probably looking at you from their beds(Or smelling you, not to worry they probably won't move as long as you stay far away from them). A trail cam would be ideal set up on those field's,or power line easement,if available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in