Gun Question...help - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gun Question...help

I am brand new to waterfowl/pheasant hunting and just recently bought my first shot gun. I purchased a Remington 870 Exress synthetic stock with a 3" shell capacity. I havent had a chance to use it hunting but i have had it to the range 5 or 6 times. The second time I went shooting, I ran into my problem. After i fire my third round, I slide the fore end forward, naturally, to extract and eject the empty shell. The problem is the fore end will not slide back towards me and gets stuck. The extracter latches on to the empty shell but will not pull the shell out of the firing chamber. The empty shell gets lodged in the barrel. To remove the empty shell, I had to take the gun apart and wiggle the empty shell out of the barrel. For target loads, I use Federal 2 3/4" shot shells. After I shoot my gun, I thoroughly clean and oil it EVERY TIME. I've checked for burrs or imperfections where the shell gets lodged and there is nothing. It essentially is a brand new gun and it's very frustrating. Why does this happen? I would like to get this resolved before I head out to the field or the blinds. Help would be appreciated...
BossBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gun Question...help

May not be the gun but the shells...are the shells new or older. I've had Black Cloud shells not cycle in my auto because of irregular shaped shells that had swelling at the end with the shot. I've also had Brenneke slugs jam in my 870 that were old and swelled after firing costing me the biggest buck to date...Your 870 is a pretty simple style gun and built for a lot of wear and tear, check the shells! Sometimes if you don't slide the stock to its range forward and backward the shell gets jammed. Make sure it comes back as far as possible before sliding forward. Good luck!
fishnhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would contact Remington and get a file started on the problem. If it continues you will want something on record because Im sure they will say you should have taken care of it 6 months earlier. I have worked with Remington with a 10 year old 10 gauge I have and the barrel blew apart at the end using Remington shells. I had what we believe was a wad get stuck and the second shot blew out the end of the barrel. They replaced it for free. Good Luck
1QUACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just Google/Youtube 870 express jams. Unfortunately the Remington Express brand is having many quality problems from the Express line. Many people are also having problems with their RE's, rusting badly.

What brand of shell are you using? Have you tried another brand with same results? Some guns just need to be fed certain ammo. I don't think it should be that way but it is especially true with many handguns.

I have an old Wingmaster I bought brand new, it has shot a lot of game/rounds and it is as solid a gun you could ever get, never a problem with it. I could feed it any type ammo but way back when, the Remington shells were 10X's dirtier than Winchester and I have been using them ever since. Just pick up a more expensive Wingmaster Rem and then the Express and you will know the difference. Don't get me wrong I understand the need to compete with the Mossberg and other inexpensive guns but Rem has had some major issues with the Express.

IMHO Save some more money and get a more quality gun.

I would take it back ASAP. Good luck with it.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Just Google/Youtube 870 express jams. Unfortunately the Remington Express brand is having many quality problems from the Express line. Many people are also having problems with their RE's, rusting badly.

What brand of shell are you using? Have you tried another brand with same results? Some guns just need to be fed certain ammo. I don't think it should be that way but it is especially true with many handguns.

I have an old Wingmaster I bought brand new, it has shot a lot of game/rounds and it is as solid a gun you could ever get, never a problem with it. I could feed it any type ammo but way back when, the Remington shells were 10X's dirtier than Winchester and I have been using them ever since. Just pick up a more expensive Wingmaster Rem and then the Express and you will know the difference. Don't get me wrong I understand the need to compete with the Mossberg and other inexpensive guns but Rem has had some major issues with the Express.

IMHO Save some more money and get a more quality gun.

I would take it back ASAP. Good luck with it.
It COULD be the gun, but my money says it's the shells.

Spoonman, I would take the Google/Youtube Express jams with a grain of salt. Considering the 870 is THE most popular shotgun on the planet with over 50 million sold I would think there would be some issues reported. And, I know the 870, the 11-87 and the 1100 all are temperamental with certain shells.

I just bought two 870 Expresses for my boys and one of them had some jamming issues this past weekend. The shell ejecting was getting hung with the one coming up. We had put around 500 shots through each of the 870's the previous few weekends trap shooting and I only remember one or two jams. I don't recall which brand shells we were using. However, this past weekend the one 870 had some issues with the Federal Heavy Game loads. I usually buy Winchester Super X's and did have some Wins and switched and all was fine. I tried some of the Federals in my gun - the 1187 and I noticed they felt more "snug" in the chamber vs. the Wins. But, my 1187 had no issues with them. I'm certainly going to keep my eye on things if either of the 870's jam more frequently because it was only one of the 870's that jammed with the Federals. They were 2 3/4" btw. Haven't tried any 3 inchers yet, but I will. Just so happens Bossman that you were also having problems with the Federals. Try switching to the Wins and see if it's still happening...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I started out with the Remington 2 3/4" target loads, the switched to the Federal. It happened more frequently with the Federal. I'm definitely going to call Remington and notify them. I'm sure I'm not the only one this is happening to. With how many of these guns being made, there's bound to be some sort of problem eventually. Maybe a bad batch....? IDK. Also, I'm going to try higher quality ammo. We'll see....the last thing I want is relying on that last shot and the **** gun jams ....or maybe cut my losses and start lining the ice reels...Thank you all...happy huntin'
BossBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in