» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Upland (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Opening day tomm. (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70892)

skberta 11-05-2010 07:51 PM

Opening day tomm.

Heading down to farm I have rights to in Tolono just south of Champaign hoping for a better opening day than last year at least the crops are out this year Thanks for the new hunting forum Taking my 7 year old on his first opening day hunt hope we see some birds. Will post tomorow how it went :-D

Rookie 11-06-2010 10:08 AM

Heading out to Sand Prairie tomorrow with my 15 and 13 year old. Finances have kept me from hunting as much as Id like but we got drawn for the free upland there. Well bring a lunch and hunt all day. Im used to DNR land where you can shoot hens and roosters but here its roosters only. It will be an adjustment. Well be fine if I can keep my dog in range. (Hed make a great Field Trial dog with how far he goes out.)

Skberta, good luck and be safe! Hope your 7 year old gets hooked.

skberta 11-06-2010 04:16 PM

good luck rookie

Well I hope you guys have as much luck as we did. We saw 12 birds all in all we saw 4 roosters for sure becuase they all made the ride home with us. One we think was a rooster but flew straight at the sun and none of us could see it clearly enough to take a shot so we watched it fly away no cackle but long tail but could not be certain so oh well. The rest were hens so that is always good to see. Not sure how to upload photos on here otherwise i would. My son carried bb gun and had a blast think i have a new partner for upland. Almost all birds were sitting very tight had a couple of real solid points. Good luck to you and your sons tommorrow let me know how it goes have thought about trying that route like you are tommorrow but have not. usually hunt des plaines and morraine view. Have a good hunt and be safe.

Rookie 11-08-2010 08:42 AM

Saw mostly hens but we did get a rooster. One rooster just ran (did not think that was a legal shot) the other flew so low I would have had to shoot my dog too.
These birds were faster than typical DNR birds. That was good for the dog. He started pointing right away; he tried to catch the first one and caught on quick.

The Little King 11-08-2010 09:16 AM

good call, as you can not shoot upland birds on the ground thay have to be flying - I still cant get over that is now ok to shoot ducks floating on the water...

FishArt 11-17-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Little King
good call, as you can not shoot upland birds on the ground thay have to be flying - I still cant get over that is now ok to shoot ducks floating on the water...

LK, Re: Pheasants on the ground - that's just on DNR land, correct? What about a follow-up shot? I can understand on DNR land from a safety & liability standpoint why it's probably not a good idea. But, on private property I think it's a good thing to have the option of putting another round into a DOWNED pheasant that takes off running. Of course this is ONLY if safe to do so with all parties, agreed upon by all parties ahead of time AND it's safe for any dogs too...

Denny 11-17-2010 11:37 AM

That is why you have the dog also, so you don't have to put more lead in the bird. Unless you like pellets.

rtripple 11-17-2010 11:51 AM

im pretty sure its only DNR public land or else how would you rabbit hunt..

FishArt 11-17-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny
That is why you have the dog also, so you don't have to put more lead in the bird. Unless you like pellets.

This is true for the most part Denny. But you know as well as I do that with experience you can tell when a bird isn't hit well and it has it's legs underneathe it. I don't care if you've got a NFC Retriever, if you have a pheasant that goes down like this and takes off running chances are very, very slim that it will be recovered. Of course I'm talking wild birds. And "no" I don't care for pellets (unless it's 7.5 shot - lol!) But, I think you owe it to the injured bird as an ethical hunter to do whatever you need to do to recover that bird. Occasionally, it takes a second shot to do that...

FishArt 11-17-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtripple
im pretty sure its only DNR public land or else how would you rabbit hunt..

I fully understand that. I was just wondering if they made that into a law for all Illinois hunting (private land too) for pheasants. Haven't pheasant hunted in Illinois in quite some time...