Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports - Reply to Topic
» CLF Sponsors
Thread: place to use air rifle Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
05-15-2018 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nosyara View Post
According to Illinois regulations you don't need FOID for air rifles of any velocity which caliber is .177 or any other air rifle with velocity under 700 fps.
To clarify, at the time of the original post (2008 - lol!) in Illinois you needed a FOID card if the gun went over 700 FPS regardless of the caliber size. In 2012 I believe they added to the 700 FPS rule that anything under .18 you do not need a FOID card now. So, in 2018 I believe most pellet guns (.177) are now legal and all BB guns are. As long as it's under .180....
05-14-2018 03:29 PM
Illinois lows

Originally Posted by iceman79 View Post
i know this is a dumb ? but do u need a firearm card to buy a pellet gun. i am strictly into archery but have a nephew who is is 20 and was gonna get him one for his bday.
According to Illinois regulations you don't need FOID for air rifles of any velocity which caliber is .177 or any other air rifle with velocity under 700 fps.
09-24-2013 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by melrobinson View Post
I bought an air rifle about a year ago for target shooting. My town bans shooting an air rifle within city limits and I'm having a heck of a time finding a place to use it.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I'm in the northwest suburbs but am willing to drive a ways.

Do you have a basement (or attic, or any inside unobstructed runway) ? If so it would be very easy to construct a bullet trap.
If the goal is becoming a better shot (target shooting) and you have any inside range area at all, this is your most effective solution.
09-23-2013 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by aekhoff View Post
you could probably shoot at the Des Plaines conservation area... they have various target ranges available.
Not that I know of. I know they have two clay shotgun ranges/shotgun only and hand throwing only. And I know they have a small bow target course. But, I'm pretty darn certain you're not allowed to shoot anything else there.

Blu is correct. Personally, if it was a little "plinking" BB gun, I too would set up a small target in my basement. But, if over a certain FPS, the you DO need a FOID card. I wouldn't be shooting these in my basement. Call some of the gun ranges. I know Rinks in Lockport you're allowed to shoot most anything. MegaSports is handguns only I believe and you have to be at least 18.

Honestly, your best bet would be to either know somebody who knows somebody or perhaps drive a little ways out of the city from where you're at and knock on a few farmers doors. And maybe toss them a few bucks for the privilege to shoot on their land. Make sure you explain it's just a BB gun though otherwise you're probably spinning your wheels...
09-22-2013 11:45 PM
gunmaster hey i just bought 2 pellet guns ones rifle and and ones a revolver and i live in chicago close to skokie and niles and i was wondering where can i go and target practice on them ?
09-29-2008 12:56 PM
fishingbass5 BLU is right, you need one if over, I thought it was, 800fps. Could be wrong though.. I have a .22 caliber Crossman that is probably 35 years old. Not sure where you could go shoot.
09-28-2008 10:23 PM
RAPMAN Bristol sportmans club in Bristol wisconsin has a air rifle range. I believe its set up with plinking targets also.It about a 1/2 hr past bass pro in gurnee.NICE PLACE.
09-28-2008 08:31 PM
blufloyd Over 700fps or so you do need a FOID. They are the only kind to have anyway.

09-28-2008 09:56 AM
iceman79 thanks for ur info melrobinson
09-28-2008 07:01 AM
no FOID card required

State of Illinois does not require a firearm owners ID card to buy an air rifle.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.