ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m not sure if this is the 5th or 6th time I`ve done this but the feedback has been good and I`ve received some requests for another. The date will be Sunday May 18th at noon, at the cost of $75/per person, licenses extra.
As in the past I`ll set the rods initially, then you`ll be running them hands on. I`ll answer any questions that arise thruout the trip. This is the easiest way to familiarize yourself with the basics of down riggers, dipseys, and planer boards. You`ll be able to try the gear I run, Vector down riggers, Shimano Charter Specials for the birds, and Tekota`s for the `riggers and dipseys as welll as the "Depth Raider" speed and temp, and Raymarine color sonar / GPS.
This is intended for individuals or pairs of fishermen to go out and see how the spreads are set up and run as well as meeting others and possibly starting new friendships.
This will fill up on a first come first serve basis. A phone call, (847) 812-1436, will hold the spot, and the payment will confirm it. Please post a reply if you are planning to come so others will know the availability. I`ll post and call when the payment is received.
It`s got to start warming up soon, right??

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
BOOM, 2 SPOTS GONE !

·
Registered
50 Posts
three gone

I talked to you on the cell phone last week or so. I' m in, pm me with the address to send my deposit . Can't wait

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Re: three gone

RJC1 said:
I talked to you on the cell phone last week or so. I' m in, pm me with the address to send my deposit . Can't wait
<------- Just click on his site, address is there, saves time. Don't hesitate ;)

My check is all made out as this is being posted.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Was wondering if Cap. Jim has or thought about running a meat rig???

Never done that, but if I brought some Herring would ya go for it?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did run "Meat Rigs" and in my opinion by my own personal testing, didn`t see it out perform any other presentations. I was told by a Lake Ontario charter Captain how they run them, it`s much more common over there. They run their spread very slow, 1-1.5 MPH to get the correct action, and only run a few rods due to the large swing of the bigger flashers. This will take action away from the other presentations I run in my spread, especially heavy spoons.
I ran a "Meat Rig" along with dodgers and flies, and spoons. I varied my speeds from the 1-1.5 MPH to 2-2.5 and found spoons out produced the meat. I even had a whole herring on a walleye (or Pike) rig with just a spinner, and ran it like a spoon, with no luck.
I, again just my opinion, choose to run spoons and dodger/ flies combos instead of the "Meat Rigs". You can cover more water with the faster speeds, and it`s not as messy. Plus the hearing strip will only last so long, and must remain cold, otherwise it becomes soft and won`t hold together.

Again this is my opinion, others swear by it. ;)

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
/rock

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Well, there is certainly no arguing with the fact it's a mess to deal with the cut bait, and does mess up your running the rest of your spread at the right speeds.

I however have found that on slower days on the pond, there are some great scents of bait pastes that can be applied to typical baits to allow you to run normal speeds while still having the advantage of the "Cut Bait Smell" to your spread. You get the action of the spoons or flies, and the scent of cut bait as well!

I have had great success with both Herring and Salmon Egg flavors applied to my baits. :)2

And, the pastes I use stay on your gear all day, as well as your hands if you don't wipe it off! :roll:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have fun guys!

I wish i had time to go with Jim. hes one of the best in the area and was The winner last year of the Sam Romano Fishing Tournament. I was there and he pretty much spanked the competition. You guys will be learning from the best whom has taught many guys some great stuff hes also has taught quite a few Now Charter Captains.
If you can't get a spot on 101 book a trip with him you'll learn just as much!!!
Have fun!!!

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Lucky Dog Charters said:
See you guys at noon Sunday ;)
(James P., James M., Tony, Jason, Dale, and Nick)
"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

/yay /yay /beer

May the God 'Neptune' shed some good fortune on Sunday.

Sun God also;

Wave God;

Salmon God;

Trout God;

Missing any?

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Lucky Dog Charters said:
See you guys at noon Sunday ;)

(James P., James M., Tony, Jason, Dale, and Nick)
"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim[/quote]

Oh NO not again? Last year it was BRUCE, BRUCE & BRUCE. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
You guys will all have a blast and learn alot from Jim, that I assure you! As for the meat, a couple of years ago, we ran it quite a bit and many of the things Jim mentioned are troublesome. Speed is an issue and if you run them like I do, on large Kingfisher or Oki flashers, they actually cut a 5 FOOT circle through the water. Not easy to just work that into your existing spread, so you either have to commit to it and run just a few rigs or risk it being more trouble than it's worth. With that said, I have taken fish on it, but last year we found it to be less effective than the year before. Don't know if the fish figured it out or what, but we just didn't seem to do as well, who know why? Kinda like the lighted J-plug. Two years ago it was killer, last year, almost a dead bait.. wish I knew why.
Anyway, have fun and be safe and pay attention to what Jim tells you, I know I have and I've learned from him :)2

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Don"t forget to bring the Capt. a banna , he loves banna's /play /yay /yay /yay

·
Registered
50 Posts
So Hi to all that are going to be there in the morning. My grandfather and I have been looking forward to this for quite some time now. We are going to try and fish in the morning. I get off at 0600 so we should get a couple hours in. See you guys soon. Oh Im Jason and gramps is James M

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
:-?
I took it upon myself to e-mail picture's to all & have not done so, pooped out. When the graduate's get them, feel free to post a pic of the GRADUATING CLASS from COHO # 101 or what ever you feel should warrant a story.

:-? Work came to a FULL blow on Monday, & now I'll get some relief on Tuesday. I'll git'em out after work on Tuesday, :oops: .

Oh, we caught 28 & 1 hitch-hiker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts