ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed the first lottery last fall, so I applied for seasons 1 thru 5 in Adams County during the second lottery.
I was thrilled when I learned I was issued a permit for 1st season.
With things staying busy at home, I could not get down to Adams Co Mon or Tue to hunt, but got there Tue night but unable to put any birds to bed.
I was up before sunrise and headed out. I walked about a mile and set up at the interection of two fire breaks, not far from a Tom still in the roost.
I called on and off, loud then soft, and waited. I could hear hens in the distance, and they probably kept the attention of that Tom I heard. After 1.5 hrs I knew the Tom was not coming toward me.
I hit an open wheat field, and threw a couple decoys out trying to let Toms in the area see them from a ways off. After 2 hrs, nothing happening so I started walking and looking.
I was walking down a hill when I saw what I thought was a bird. I froze, then saw the bird continue eating...with two more birds.
I dropped to my knees, set up a decoy in the fire lane I was walking, and crawled behind a large tree. Got all my camo in place, made some very quiet calls to keep their attention, and watched 3 Toms make their way thru the trees and come my way with my binoculars to make sure they weren't Jakes or hens.
I waited for what I thought was the biggest one to stick his head up, then got my trophy.
Probably a 2.5 yr old bird, not the biggest, but beautiful none the less.

Alto

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice gobbler im getting ready myself for tommorrow cant wait.Probably wont sleep much tonight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rap
Best of luck out there.
Being a city boy, raised in Chicago, I say I have "city" eyes and was suprised that I saw them before they saw me. As it was my first time hunting 1st season, I could see a loooong way in the woods. Hunting 5th season before, I was encouraged to stand the whole time by my guide. That got tiring, but was the only way to see birds coming my way.
Time to get my fan arranged and onto some cardboard.
I can't wait for next year!

Good luck out there y'all.

Alto

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nice job Kev! BPS and Cabelas have nice do it yourself mounting kits for the fan and beard pretty cheap. I did my first osceola a few years ago with the kit and it still looks good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JP
I"ll have to get the fan pinned down on some cardboard soon, then figure out where I can put it up....like the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts