ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is which would you rather catch a 20" smallmouth bass or a 24" walleye? I through the bullhead in just for kicks. The whole thing started after Razzo's post on the Yorkville walleye. After 10 posts and over 250 views I was the only guy to stick up for the scrappy smallmouth. Anyway I don't want to bias the poll but I am interested to see what the masses think.

G

·
I have to qualify my vote:
Fun...Smallie!
Food...Walleye, but 24 is just a little bigger than I like to take for the table, gimme a couple of fat 18's instead!

G

·
After wasting money in Canada on a Walleye happy guide, lame!!
And sitting there jigging endlessly and hooking a fish with all the fighting prowess of a log. What's the question again?

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Hi Anonymous
I'm surprised that when you were up in Canada your guide had you just jigging for Wallleys.
When we were up there last year,my guide takes me to some hot spots. I then ask him if it is O.K to cast with my favorite lures. He might recommend a particular color,but otherwise he goes along with my suggestion. By using different lures you not only have a chance to get your walleye,but some northern pike might have his own idea that that one is for him. I would get bored just sitting in a boat jigging.
If you go to Canada this year, don't hesitate using lures. It is more fun. At one spot I caught five 19 to 22 inch walleyes back to back in a matter of 20 minutes. Best of fishing.
For the record I'll take the 20 inch smallmouth for the fight, and the 24 incher for the delicious shore lunch. Of course in Canada they encourage you to release the ones from approximately 19 to 22 inchers for breeding. I think that is a good idea.

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">No doubt the Smallmouth is a scrappy fighter.I don't think that you will get any argument's there, but for me on the fox I fish Walley more than Smallmouth mainly for the challnege.You can catch smallmouth anytime :)13.Pound for pound on the fox dependent on your rigging and setup slab gills are the real fighters :)23BillD></font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fishinglineman on 2002-03-29 17:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bass fish 99% of the time, and love to catch those big, thick smallies. As a novelty, if I happened to catch a 24" walleye (while bass fishing) I would not be one bit unhappy! SIDE NOTE: While fishing in a BFL tournament on Shelbyville last year I should have been walleye fishing. I caught more in one day than in my entire 30 years of fishing.
The biggest about 25 inches. I made my non-boater take a picture.

G

·
Smallies can fight but how do they taste? I've only caught one smallie in my life and it was about 8" long. Caught it trout fishing in PA of all things which was rather amusing. Almost got caught by what I figured to be a copper head while wading the middle of that river that same day! That wasn't as amusing!! Anyway, just curious how these fighters taste. Personally I'm hooked on Walleye and Bluegill for flavor.

G

·
Smallmouth without a question. i have caught a 20 inch smallie and there is nothing like it in the world. the fight is unreal. also a 20 inch smallie is much harder to come by rather than a 24 inche walleye. SMALLIES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey Ed,

This poll thing is broke. I just casted five additional votes for the walleyes and none of dem would register. Whasup with dat?

This is <font color="#0000FF">CHICAGO</font>land.fishing.com is it not?

You know Chicago, vote early and often?

Razzo :smile:

G

·
<font color="#00FF00">After years of fishing for muskies and having o.k.luck,i swithched to the meanest fish in the sea.THE SMALLIE No other fish in the water besides the musky will make your knees weak when your onto a good size fish. My personal best smallies were 20 and a half" from a Illinois stream on a topwater, and a 21 and three quarter from a lake in the U.P. Theres no comparison! As far as the guy asking how they taste you should be shoot at sundown! Thats sack religious man!!!!!!!!!!! Kevin Dells</font> :)17

1 - 13 of 13 Posts