ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out to the river early this morning.
Not too much happening yet.
Totals:
Foul hooked fish
2 drum
1 channel cat
1 carp

Caught fish:
1 walleye

We were using jig and a minnow.
The fish still seemed to be in the same modd as late ice.
Water temps were 36° at the start and only 37° around noon.

We need some more warm days and not-so-cold nights to warm up the water.
You have to figure there's still some ice on the chain though so that'll have to melt off first before the river warms.

G

·
Ed, does the runoff cool the river or warm up the flows where they discharge.

Any idea on what to expect from the McHenry Dam? I would like to put my new box of mini cranks to work on the smallies and pike as the Steelhead rivers to the north are shot to heck for the next two weeks.

I have new waders now!

Thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
digitalbluecat said:
Ed, does the runoff cool the river or warm up the flows where they discharge.
It all depends on how far the runoff comes from.
If it's a shallow creek that's bringing water through farm fields where it has a chance to warm up on a sunny day the water near the mouth may be a bit warmer.
The top layer going over dams is usually a bit warmer too so as we get warmer days the whole river will warm.

If it's just melting snow and ice though that's just as cold as the river is now so...

One thing that you can do before the water starts warming up is fish around shoreline rocks, concrete, trees, anything that soaks up the sun's warmth.
On a sunny day the water will be warmer around them and just that little bit does attract fish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haven't tried for eyes yet, but the pannies are going strong right now. Crappie seem to be going better than I can ever remember (both size and quanity) Gills, whites, yellows and LM Bass also seem to be holding there own. River came up a bit from Sat to Sun and spread out the schools a bit. If you can find the edge of the current breaks where there are some nice dark, mud bottoms, you'll probably find some pannies.

-Dave

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good news dave....

A spot I know of fits your description to a tee and I just know they are there, but finding the time to get out there has been a different story :-?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts