ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've weeded through quite a few dink walleyes this spring and before last night I didn't get one over 14". I should have known the solution to breaking the dink cycle was to fish at night. Finally had an evening warm enough to give it a try. It was a calm evening with a bright full moon.

Total catch: 2 walleyes (18",15")
1/8 oz chrome jig & minnow
Water Temp: 40deg. Air Temp: 42deg.

Just for the record I am 100% C&R for Bass,Pike,Musky, and most other species. I do however practice selective harvest when it comes to walleyes, crappie,catfish, and stocked trout. The 18" walleye looked fat with eggs, so that one went back in the water. A quick sqeeze on the 15" walleye's belly revealed a male. The water temp hasn't been over 42 on the rock all year so I was surprised that the male was milking allready. Not all of the walleyes spawn at the same time so these two were probably early starters. I still think that the walleyes are in pre-spawn and probaly won't spawn for another 1-3 weeks depending on what the weather does. It would be nice if anyone else could post a report on this board besides myself. I can't be the only guy out there catching fish on the Rock or Kish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paul, I went down to the Fordham Dam twice this week and have yet to catch anything. Going out again Saturday if the weather is nice.
On 2002-03-29 08:28, PaulT wrote:
I've weeded through quite a few dink walleyes this spring and before last night I didn't get one over 14". I should have known the solution to breaking the dink cycle was to fish at night. Finally had an evening warm enough to give it a try. It was a calm evening with a bright full moon.

Total catch: 2 walleyes (18",15")
1/8 oz chrome jig & minnow
Water Temp: 40deg. Air Temp: 42deg.

Just for the record I am 100% C&R for Bass,Pike,Musky, and most other species. I do however practice selective harvest when it comes to walleyes, crappie,catfish, and stocked trout. The 18" walleye looked fat with eggs, so that one went back in the water. A quick sqeeze on the 15" walleye's belly revealed a male. The water temp hasn't been over 42 on the rock all year so I was surprised that the male was milking allready. Not all of the walleyes spawn at the same time so these two were probably early starters. I still think that the walleyes are in pre-spawn and probaly won't spawn for another 1-3 weeks depending on what the weather does. It would be nice if anyone else could post a report on this board besides myself. I can't be the only guy out there catching fish on the Rock or Kish.
:)15 :)15

G

·
My and I fished below the oregon dam saturday during the rain and I, personally, was fishing for walleye but however did'nt catch any my friend however was hammering channel cats 1 after the next. The water temp that day was 43 degrees. Anyone been doing better than I there?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There definately is an early channel cat bite at the Oregon Dam. From past experiences they are usually smaller cats. 43deg is a good temperature to get things started for walleyes. Were you fishing from a boat or shore?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts