ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone's gone to 31st lately and if there was any luck with the fishes there? I don't see a whole lot of people posting about 31st so I was just wondering if that's a pretty good site to fish at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't see much action at 31st. If the weather stays cool this week, you should try the shoreline at 2 parks which are across from Museum of Science. Two Saturdays ago my son and friend braved high waves and caught 7 coho and 2 brown trout, released 5 small coho.
Last Saturday almost everyone caught at least one. Seen one 11 lb brown trout, and 18 lb king caught. My son and I limited out, released 2 small coho. :)2 :)2 :)2 :)2

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is there parking available by those two parks? I fished 31st street, 30 years ago, but haven't been that far south on LSD for years.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
First park is before Museum of Science, the parking lot is on dead end of East 55th Street. Small lot. Walk under LSD, long walk to park.
The next park is past Museum of Science, you should see a beachhouse on left. Turn left on Hayes Drive. Plenty of parking. Not sure what time the gates open.
Go to Google Maps, click on satellite, you'll find these parks. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
piker14 said:
The next park is past Museum of Science, you should see a beachhouse on left. Turn left on Hayes Drive. Plenty of parking. Not sure what time the gates open.
I was there yesterday in the wind. Only had about 45 minutes to fish, and I caught nothing, but saw lots of fish. One HUGE steelhead, many smallish cohos and maybe browns. Didn't see most of them up close. I've caught more salmon off that pier than any other in town. And the DNR does stock down there: last year 105,000 coho and 85,000 kings. Plus 10,000 rainbows and 10,000 browns.
Gates usually open at 7AM, but I've been lucky and found them open as early as 5AM. If you can, park somewhere else and ride a bike out onto the pier if you're there before the gates open. It's a long pier, so there are lots of good spots to fish.
Yesterday was my first day out for salmon/trout this year, and seeing all those other guys catch fish has me thinking about nothing else, scheming ways to get out of family and work to catch some fish for the smoker.
Olaf

·
Registered
345 Posts
piker14 said:
First park is before Museum of Science, the parking lot is on dead end of East 55th Street. Small lot. Walk under LSD, long walk to park.
Are you shore fishing off of Promontory Point (park?) or off the pier just south of Promontory and the "beach?"

I live in Hyde Park and have been itching to get a license and try fishing. Sadly grew up in a household that didn't fish, although I have vivid memories of one visit to a catfish farm as a child. Even bought a rod from Costco as an impulse buy despite knowing absolutely nothing about fishing (probably not a good idea).

TIA for the helpful replies.

If I actually start fishing, I'll definitely become a subscriber.

·
Registered
48 Posts
joelreiser said:
You guys are talking about Jackson Park I believe. The "pier" is actually th inlet for the harbor.
Yes it's Jackson, but it's a pier--a long one.
Here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 8&t=h&z=14
Yes, part of the "pier" is a wall, but then it becomes a pier. The fish I saw caught the other day were all along the south-facing wall (so the beach is behind you), but I've caught most of my fish there casting east toward Michigan off the pier (with the city at my back).
And yes, the other description someone gave above is Promontory Point. I only fished there once and got skunked. But I've talked to guys that have had success there.
Olaf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts