ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off in the first backwaters off of blodget. FISH FISH FISH, but they were all small. Didnt even bother shooting any. Weeds shot up and it was hard for even us to make it through without fouling the troller. Saw one nice gar hanging out in the deep weeds but missed him. Decided to shoot over the the river. It was murky!!! Only about 4-5in visibility. Found some better sized commons and some bigmouths on the flats. Watch out there are TONS of nice size cats out. Trolled over under the bridge to the backwaters. Thought the shad were going to sink us. Plenty of fish but again small. Saw some massiver wakes out there... I would guess either bigheads or grassies. Missed another really nice gar, this one pushing 5ft. Then moved upstream of the 3rivers launch to the little cove and found a few nice bigmouth and some quillback. Its not going to be a problem shooting fish this weekend, just finding some decent sized ones. And the day shooters should be in luck, largemouth were spawning all over the backwates so I would assume the buffs are or will be soon. I am taking a trip out tomorow in the morning to check it out.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Whenever the shad are thick like that your bound to find some good sized gar hanging around. I think the wakes you saw might have been the bigmouth buffs moving in to start spawning. Water temp should be getting just right for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts