ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color="#FFFFFF">Wade and bank fished Olson Lake (Rock Cut), post cold front conditions. Fished 2:30pm-4:30pm, air temp 43, water in the 50's, cloudy with a northwest wind 20mph. Decided to fish the sheltered shoreline which happened to be the north shore anyway, pre-spawn conditions. 3 largemouths: 17", 14 1/2", 10". Slow retrieve w/occasional pumping action. Not bad for a cold spring day, fish we're actually hitting hard, had two other hits. Had a good time Saturday w/ Kevin, Paul, Greg...ISA trip to Powerton was changed to try a local river for smallies...good decision since it rained most of the day at Powerton and we had decent but cool weather up til noon. As Kevin stated in the previous post, 25 smallies between us four with Paul landing 12 of them. Give him credit, however, what makes Paul exceptional not only his presentation it's his location. I've been out a few times and learned watching Paul his casts are very specific in the location...he just gets the presentation in their face! What a beautiful river and location, not to name places or locations, Northern Illinois has a lot of smallie potential if a person is dedicated to go out and get off the beaten path a little...the rewards are there!</font> Fishski

G

·
Fishski, yeah after thinking about it a little more on Sunday it was an awesome day.
As you know i only caught the 2 small ones,but what makes it fun is getting out with new people learning a little about them and joking around.Over the last year since joining the ISA ive fished with some real talented fishermen and enjoy it so much more in good company. Catching a nice smallie is great and exciting but i think i get just as excited watching other people real in a hard fighter as well,and then theres always a good picture. Its tough to get a good picture when you fish alone,and theres never any one around to help celebrate.
As far as Paul goes "He's my Ferris Bueller!"
What can you say he has the magic touch.

I had a teenage freind named Steve that i always used to go fishing with, he had that same touch. We would talk about what presentations we would use for what species all the way up to upper Wisconsin,and year after year Steve would always pridict what the fish would be biting on(all Species).
You know 9 times out of 10 he was right on the money,and he ALWAYS caught the biggest fish. Still it's a joy fishing with guy's like Paul and Steve and i wouldnt trade it for the world,ive learned so much over the years!
Now fishski, my wife has a bridal shower on sunday can you get out and do some fishing,i hear its going to be a nice weekend. Let me know and we'll ditch Paul!! LOL LOL :)20

·
Registered
118 Posts
You guys are killing me. Kevin, if I'm your Farris Bueller then you can be my Cameron. If thats the case then I should have no problem talking you into taking out that fancy boat your father is storing at your house. I even have a truck to tow it. Don't try to roll the odometer back this time. Give yourselves some credit too you are both good fisherman. You can't learn as fast fishing by yourself all the time. I've learned quite a bit by fishing with other knowledgeable fisherman. What your seeing from me is 20 years of fishing 50-80 times a year on local waters. In that spot I had what you could call home field advantage too. Put me on some water I've never fished before and I become mortal. I read a statistic once that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. Do you think its true? You don't have to worry about ditching me this weekend Kevin, I have plans allready. My Sportsman's club is having their anual trout weekend. If the weathers nice I'll take the whole family camping. I usually catch my 5 trout limit in the first 30 minutes so I may have some extra time. I know of an exclusive private stocked bass pond I can get you guys into in the Sycamore area. I may head out there for a few hours if I get my limit quickly. This pond will make any fisherman look like a pro.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulT on 2002-04-30 08:42 ]</font>

G

·
That bass pond sounds good,let us know.
Sunday my brother in law and the guy that couldnt make it last weekend will be coming out to give it a shot.The ladies have a bridal shower and we are what you call history! Paul you have me cell# give me a call if you free up. Did you try topwaters in front of that island or just a rapala?
Congrads on the 16.5 you schmuck!!!
P.S. i hope your wife and kids out fish you this weekend!! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.