ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4-3 #'2 and 3 (pics)

I don't know who woke up the kids but I did get 2 more smallies today.
1/8 ounce hig to handle the current and a 3" green pumpkin helgie.
I'm not going to say the bite died when the sun went behind the clouds but I did catch these two before it did. 8:)
Pretty much the same thing as yesterday just noodling around anything breaking the current.

The first one doinked it pretty good and that felt nice :p

The second one hit it once and I missed, put it in again and he slowly sucked on it, must have had just the tail because I pulled and nothing there.
The third time he took it all the way.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nice fish Ed great to see them on them hitting the helgie, I don't want to carry a bucket with me. I'm finally going to get out this Saturday. So if anyone else is out I plan on hitting St Charles, Geneva, and Batavia and then big rock creek PM me if you want a partner for the day. Oops back to topic :)2

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fishingbass5 said:
Nice fish Ed.

Are you just using a regular jig head?? and forgive my ignorance, but what does a helgie look like. I always thought they were live bait. :oops:
Sorry :oops:
A hellgrammite is actually live bait but these are imitations.
I took the picture in a hurry so... :-?
And yes, it's just a plain unpainted jig head

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks, I have seen those before. we just call them bugs or fake wigglers. Just a term used with a few of the guys in the club. but it's the same thing.

Some more power to make me look smarter now ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
with the 60s forecasted for Sat and Sun, we should really see the smallie bite start to pick up. Nice fish Ed....high water is a blessing for smallie fisherman on the Fox. ;) Brings the fish to us and keeps us out of that freezing cold river.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'll have to try those helgies this year.
Don Dzienda gave me a ten-pack at the Tinley show...

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried again earlier today, around 11 am and nothing.
The air was definitely cooler and I was watching the temperature before I went and it just wasn't warming up like it did last night.
Hopefully the temps this weekend will bump the water up to a point where a prolonged cool night won't stop them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi Ed,

I asked you this several years ago, but I am wondering if your thoughts have changed- Do you prefer the Little Helgies or larger ones? Time of year matter? I wondered if there might be a "match the hatch factor" like we find in fly fishing.

Before you mentioned that you saw no difference.

I still like the smaller ones for whatever reason. I tracked it one year and found that my catch rate was a little higher with the small. I at one time thought that the bigger fish might hit the bigger Helgies, but that did not prove to be true.

Chartruse/Pumpkin/ and black are still "don't leave home without them" colors for me.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
prefer the smaller ones and yesterday tried both.
In general I use the smaller ones and have caught large smallmouth on them consistantly.
I have some large ones in my vest in case the small ones aren't working but never swtiched to the larger and started getting hits.
Going the other way around though, from large to small I have had times when I started getting hits.

I tend to use the large ones with heavier, longer jigs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.