ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, who would have thought I could have had a better trip than I had over Thanksgiving. I DID!!!! As usual we caught a wide variety of fish, white bass, stripers, hybrids, smb, lmb, black crappie, white crappie, drum, bluegill, c cats, blue cats, bluegills. There were a few fish we caught more of than others....stripers baby!!!

Weds 4-2
First day I fished with my dad and we caught 15-20 small stripers in the 3-10 pound range, 10-15 whites and hybrids, and several yellow bass casting umbrella rigs and reaper jigs in the current. The big fish moved out of the discharge to the main lake. In the afternoon we drifted for crappie and caught 20 or so very very nice crappie. There was a segment on the news that night that somebody caught a potential world record 24" crappie on this lake on Weds.
Also fished for blues and got a 25# fish and some small 5# fish in the evening.

Thurs 4-3
In the AM we fished for crappie and caught 15-20 or so very 11-15" crappie. We also caught a couple nice blue cats and some small stripers in the 3-6 pound class.
In the PM...hehehe....me, my brother, and his buddy trailered the boat to one of the large TVA hyrdro electric dams...nothing like these things up here. We ran the boat up to the dam face and filled our bait tank up with yellow tails and skipjacks. Our first drift all of us hooked up within 30 seconds of having our lines in the water...my brothers friend says...we are gonna catch lots of big fish today. We got two of the three fish in...both fish in the mid twenty pound range. We motor back up to the dam and cast into the turbid water...we all hook up again immediately...only got one fish in on that drift...which was a 33# fish. Brian then says...we are going to get a 40# fish today. The drift and catch fishing continued until dark for 6 7 hours straight on just about every drift we made. We boated over 50 fish...not one under 20 pounds. The Biggest fish tipped the scale at just about 43 pounds. We got three fish over forty pounds...a 43 and two 41's...I didn't get any of the 40# plus fish...wa wa wa...Although I did get 3 or 4 in the 30 pound range and to many to count in the 20-30# class. There were times where one of us would skip a drift because you were to exhausted from realing in your last fish. I also had a fish blow up one of my custom casting chinook rods. Had to switch to my heavier saltwater casting rod which did the job. It was a terrific day of fishing...I was so tired I could have fallen asleep on the way home.

Day 3
Day three we went back to the hydro dam and dad joined us this time. The fishing was decent, but not nearly as good as the day prior. We each got 4-5 fish in the 20-30# class. Don't remember getting any in the 30-35# class. I did catch a beautifull 20# hybrid, 25 pound blue, and 3# smallie, 5# largemouth. My brother caught the biggest smallmouth I have ever seen which was 21 inches and 6#. He also got a 25-30# blue.

Day 4
Didn't do a whole lot of fishing. Fished off the dock with my daughter and caught some small channel and blue cats. She had a blast realing in a 10# blue off the end of the dock...she is 4 and caught the biggest fish she had ever gotten.

I would have been perfectly content if I didn't fish another day on my trip after day 2. I can count on my hand how many days I was sore from catching fish...and that was one of them!!! We saw a lot of nesting ospreys, deer, and strutting toms...in my dads back yard!!! Perfect trip.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The normal "Nice fish" or "Way to Go" doesn't really apply here. I would not expect that kind of action even with a top notch guide. Do you think it was just a matter of right time, right place, right baits, or is the fishing usually that consistentally awesome? About all I can say is.....

WOW

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Matt,
Is the fishing that consistantly awsome??? It seems to be whenever I go down there!!! The biggest factor we had in our favor is the guy we were fishing with. He grew up down there...he happens to be one of the premier striper guides down in Eastern TN and knows where the pattern of the fish certain times of the year. I asked him the same question and he said the spot we fished it THAT good for around two weeks. Once the shad are gone, most of the fish follow them. There were three other boats there on Thursday...one of them was a guide. We saw the guide boat two fish all day. A lot of guys run shad behind planer boards in the slower water. We probably did 75 drifts down the turbid shore line over the coarse of the day. We would do a drift...motor back behind the big boil behind the dam them drift down the shoreline in the turbid water. We put fresh bait on every drift and the guy kept us on the fish in place in the current. It would really take a hellova lot of time to get that teqnique on your own. Controling the boat was the single most important factore. When I say the water was turbid...it was TURBID. I think the fast water scares a lot of people and they avoid it...for good reason. Guys were trying to mimmick us...but they had smaller lighter boats...fished with different baits...etc. They would try 5 or 6 drifts then give up. If I was there by myself or another uneducated person...we could probably scrap 4 or 5 fish on a good day. BTW...I put a picture of a 96# blue my buddy got two weeks ago. He thought he had a world record...went home weighed it...then figured out it was only 96# and brought it back to the river and released it.
You know...I asked Brian what he charges for a day of fishing....just out of curiosity. For Two guys he charge $250 for the day total...this includes bait, equipment gas, etc. I was really really suprised in that I thought it would be closer to $200-$250 a guy for a full day. As I said in a prior post...everybody heads in the wrong damn direction to go on fishing trips. Canada is nice and everything, but hell, you could go to TN...stay at a little resort for $125 a guy for 4-5 nights...get a full service guide for 4 days at $500 per guy plus $200 a guy for food and gas money. Trip will cost you $800-$1000 Most guys spend that or more going up north to Canada. Or you can have family down there who are friends with a guy like this and all you have to do is buy a couple lunches...give the guy a couple lures...some gas money and buy yourself a cheap $175 airline ticket.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Unbelievable...well I beleive it but...unbelievable!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Great fish. Was that in the Watts Bar area?
If it is I will be very happy as I am moving there later
this yr. The boat goes down in Aug. / Sept.
I'l have a place to stay until we get a house.
Neil

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
HOLY CRAP! :eek: I've never seen or heard of so many huge fish come from one trip. Looks like you caught the "fish of a lifetime" over and over and over again. Great job. :)2

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Alright, I have to comment again after you added the pics. That is just plain.......

SICK

It is a rare day when you need to take a break from fighting fish because of exhaustion. Now I can really understand why :eek:

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
What's really funny is that on the phone yesterday he was telling me they caught some 20-30 inch drum.
Now I caught a 20" drum from the Fox a few years back and it pulled pretty good.
I know others have caught them larger from Lake Michigan.
Ok, it's not a bass that long but they still pull pretty good.

Scout was telling me they felt like a wet sock though.
I guess when you've been fighting those pigs a 30" drum may feel like a wet sock though :-?

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I have nothing to add except that I am GREEN WITH ENVY!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drum...

Ed....I should have clarified...the drum were not 20-30 inchers they were 15-30 pounders...and yes...they were like pulling in a wet blanket in the current.

I will be getting more pics soon...i will add them to the mix.

And again...I will add...Everybody always heads north....WHY??? These fish fight so much better than any pike of musky I have ever gotten. They are plain ole muscle. Any time you have to chase a fish with the boat because it took out 100 yards of 50 pound power pro heading up current in 5-8 seconds deserves some respect. I have caught many large salmon, pike, and musky...these fish do not compair in strength to a striper...just the facts. I don't know many places within 9 hours of Chicago where you have a great chance of catching a 40# game fish. And several of them at that.

Ed....I don't know if it is OK to post my buddies website address here...if not let me know and I will remove it. A couple people PMed me asking this guys name which is Brian Townsend. If you are interested in checking out more pics or booking a trip his web address is www.tennesseestripers.com He truely is a class act and to control the boat in the current we were in was something else.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Re: Drum...

Scout said:
Ed....I should have clarified...the drum were not 20-30 inchers they were 20-30 pounders...and yes...they were like pulling in a wet blanket in the current. I will be getting more pics soon...i will add them to the mix.
:eek: Man o man, those things had to look like huge silver trash lids coming up from the deep :eek:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
AWESOME!!! ummm can your friends and family adopt me for a week j/k. Incredible fish and trip!!! :)2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts