ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the DPR today about 11am. River was high and current was swift I found a calm pocket with some good eddy currents. I threw out a med. golden roach on a red aberdeen hook with one split shot and a bobber. kept it out on the edges of the eddy's in 1 hr. ended up landing 4 keeper size walleye. one wieghed 4.5 lbs, about 23in. long the rest were in the 2-3lb range from 18-20in. I missed and even larger one as soon as I pulling it to shore about ready to grab it it started thrashing and got off the hook it ended up almost striaghtening the hook. I wish I would've gotten to measure and snap a pic. I did get a couple of bad pics on my cell phone of the ones caught. I quit when i ran out of bait.I would post them but have no clue to get them from phone to computer and then on to this post. Overall a great day to be out! All fish were released back into the water to be caught again.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Try sending those cell phone pics to your email account, then open em up and save them to your machine. I'd like to see those pics!!

good job

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a great day!I was about a 100 yds down stream from the dam on the lyons side. Im still trying to figure out getting the pics from my phone on here. For some reason my e-mail wont let me open them. I wanted to get out there today but the weather never cooperates.It would've been nice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like you were in between the flats and the toilet bowl (under Hoffman Bridge). I caught a decent northern by the toilet bowl a few years back(1/4 oz pink/white jig head with white twister tail was very effective). Anyway, nice job on those eyes. I would be in the same situation as you currently are with your camera. I feel your pain, brother. LOL Take care.
PT

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey guys, just to give a tip for these conditions try throwing ring worms attached to a light jighead in the same areas you are bobber fishing the minnows, I've had great success in rivers using this technique. I lightly jig it or sometimes even just drag it slowly accross the bottom, early season spring walleyes LOVE this presentation, you just have to make sure to fish it slow. If you don't get any bites right away downsize your worm.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
fishing4fun said:
Thanks for the info! I will have to try that. Question about the ring worms ? Are these live bait or artificial?
Artificial

·
Registered
450 Posts
hey fishing4fun.
this is what they look like ...

i have had good success with the tomato color in the past up on the fox. remember less is better when coming to the size of jighead used - if you are getting hits but no hook sets - add a stinger hook.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I prefer a shade of purple with a white belly, thats the color scheme thats always worked the best for me. And yes, the lightest jighead you can get away with. The ones that look like minnow heads are great for this presentation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I went to my local bait shop when i asked the guy behind the counter if he stocked ringworms. He replied I had ringworm once when I was in High School and it was terrible. I just laughed then purchased some other supplies i was running low on. I guess I'll have to go to bass pro or cabelas for them. I do have some worms that look pretty similair to those. by the looks of them in the pic they might produce well texas rigged.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow...I'm blown away with the fish that are coming out of the 'ol DPR!!!
Keeps me going when things are rough out there....ya just never know what's going to hit!! Great fish!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts