ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out at 6:30am. The three of us had our limit by7:30am. What beautiful trout. We fished to around 10:00 With the total of 35 trout. The 10 trout we kept will taste good on the grill today. I seen the DNR officers out there and thanked them for doing a great job. Nice to see the MORONS with no fishing license get what they deserve. To the two fishermen I was with, Thanks for a great time in the great outdoors. Nothing like fresh trout slime & blood in the canoe. Enjoy the great outdoors

·
Registered
540 Posts
35 Trout? Were you culling? :)3
Those are put and take fish. Not put and take and put again!
Suppose I'll find some more belly up Racoon food like last year. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Skunked

Since I got to Blackwell about 10 oclock, I and many others got skunked. I saw a few guys leaving with their limit when I arrived. One guy had a 4lb largemouth bass on a stringer. I mentioned to other guys around me, that he was taking a breeder home. It doesn't hurt to mention it to others, so if they catch one they will release it. It seems like the only time to catch those trout is at daybreak. I might try the Cal Sag Quarry Monday. I didn't see any reports about Cal Sag. If anyone fished it Saturday or Sunday let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
haters

Whats with the hating on a good days fishing. Its not like their wild trout, they get delivered in a truck. Im gonna head over there and try to catch a hundred of em.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
For the record, once you have taken your 5 fish limit, it is illegal to continue to target those fish. In other words, once you have 5 in your bucket, you are done. Yes you can target other species, but you had better be throwing 3/4 oz. Spinner baits or something that is well outside a bait considered a "trout" bait or you can get ticketed.

Whether or not it is illegal may even be the minor point. The ethical point is that these trout are very fragile and generally do not release well. I'm not saying that it can't be done, it is just that most guys do not have the equipment or skills to sucessfully do it. To sucessfully release these trout you should have barbless hooks (or at least bend over the barbs on your hooks) , be able to handle the fish as little as possible and hope the fish does not swallow the hook down at all, otherwise any fish you release is going to die.

Something to think about next time out!

G

·
Once you place 5 trout on your stringer/in your bucket, any trout you hook after that instantly puts you over the limit. It's cut and dry. This goes for every other species that has a daily creel limit.

It's shameful to see such selfishness from fellow anglers.

:)3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Chuck,
I was at Sag Quarry on Saturday and me and a guy I just met there named "Mike" got 4 each. The Cook County Sheriff even opened the gates a little early!!!! We both started off getting our first one each back to back within the first 30-40 minutes we were there (it was still dark). Seven of our eight fish came on Chartreuse/Glitter Turbo powerbait. The other one was on a crawler. I missed 2 others on the powerbait and one on a Rooster Tail. We did see some fish being caught by others, one guy was doing really good using waxies about 3 feet or so below a bobber. Also saw a few caught on spinners and minnows. It wasn't fast and furious action. Very sporadic after the first hour or two. Hope this helps and let me know how you did.

Louis

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm hoping this serves as a "learning experience" for the person who posted this and for others, as well. We had the same issue last year with someone who posted their trout catch here and subsequently got bashed.
Please learn the rules.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I lost my 1/4oz kastmaster and only had a silver/orange 3/4oz kastmaster. Trout were nailing that big one too.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Right on about "learning experience"!!!

I did not mean to attack the poster in any way. My intention was to post what the legal rule is, and then give my opinion on the ethical side of the situation. I would be a hypocrite to not mention (and I should have before :oops: ) how I learned this rule.

The truth is that I was fishing at Silver Springs some years back, I had 5, my buddy was at 4 and I kept casting my little cleo. The DNR was on shore checking licenses and sure enough, I hook up. I brought the fish to the side of the boat, unhooked the fish with hemostats, never touching the fish or lifting it out of the rubber net and off it went. The DNR guy then yelled out "how many fish are in your basket" I said five, and he replied, "you're done then!". I didn't understand, but wasn't going to tempt fate, so I put the rod down.

Within a minutes, Jeff had his fifth and we went in. On shore, we were checked and I then asked him why I couldn't catch and release and he told me what I posted earlier. Once you have your limit, you cannot "target the species". We talked about what that meant, and he admitted itw was a bit vague and up the the CO's judgement. He then went on to say they were much more strict when it came to trout since they are very fragile and do not release well, but commented that he watched the way I released that last fish and it was the right way to do it.

Since that day, I have at times released trout but only with less than 5 fish in the basket (legal), so if I do accidentally harm a trout, it goes in the basket. I even have a few spoons that I have changed the hooks to barbless hooks on, but it is very hard to find barbless hooks in sizes large enough for spoons.

OK, hope that clears things up! Nice job on catching the fish, stay legal and handle the fish with care :)2

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I would imagine the operative word(s) is 5 in your posession.

If you have five on a stringer, in a basket, or whatever and you are unhooking another one, you have SIX in your posession which would be ILLEGAL.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Cal Sag

bassassasin27: I didn't go to Cal Sag Monday. Hopefully I will get there Wed. It is suppose to be a half decent day. Thanks for the report

1 - 17 of 17 Posts