ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to a local lake to try some bass fishing. Started at 1:30pm and caught two bluegill about an hour into fishing. Tried mepp spinner, worm under slip bobber, about 4 ft down, nada. I switched to a 4 inch grey/silver speckled salty grub. As soon as I switched, had a hit and a bass on the first two casts. The bass was about 1-1/12 pounds. Then the hits stopped. Which was weird. Ended with only one bass. What gets them if a mepps isnt getting them frisky? Need some advice

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
for starters throw the mepps in the garbage, its a small bass bait and whats the point of that. the best and easiest bait to catch bass is a 4 inch senko weightless. I prefer to throw finesse jigs/trailers like a booya find cover or just bounce it in. cranks and spinnerbaits are good but have there place and time like on a boat but shore fishing plastics and jigs win the battle. I hope this helps if not just ask

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is a mepp? does it catch smaller bass more often them anything? im not going for trophy bass (im just a kid) what is the easyiest thing to catch small to medium bass on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
To Fishstalker25

I fish for bass every Saturday & Sunday morning all spring, summer and fall long. I fish the strip mine lakes around Braidwood. That being said, my very best and consistent catch's from sound experience, comes from using 1/8 oz jig head with a 3" to 4" brown rubber craw.

Casting along shores (not out & back to shore but along shore as much as possible). I try to know where the drop off is, let it settle and jig it along that drop.

Everyone out here will give you their personal best tip as well. But in my experience this has beat everything from minniws, worms, wacky worms, crank/buzz lures and split back rapala's. I do try these from time to time and I do catch Bass with them, but by far the craw does the job all year long!

Go get'em.....

Ps: My fishing buddies have nick named me the "Craw" many times as I out catch them! <grin

·
Registered
384 Posts
Try using super shallow diving crankbaits . Something that doesn't dive too deep. Manns, Bandit and others make them. Also try Rat-L-Traps. The idea is to make long casts and cover the water. Move around, fan casting each area. A fan cast is to make multiple casts 2-3 feet apart in a fan or semi-circular pattern.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Funny last weds. I caught 17in LM on a yellow roostertail in-line spinner (very close to a mepps) and yesterday I caught a 14in smallie. I may have to switch lures so I can caught some bigger fish

·
Registered
614 Posts
if your water is stained to murky nothing beats a red colored Rat-l-Trap; for clear water try a 3" orange grub or smoke colored tube texas rigged

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeh... my buddy, his girfriend, and i went out at the crack of dawn this mourning (april 20). i caught about 15 bass today and a couple crappies. it was a good day...tiring, but i needed the fix. we finished at about 2:30 pm. i was using 1/8 oz spinner type bait. it worked fine for me. the biggest about 16 inches. the others were mostly 8-12 inchers. i also like using floating rapala's (or similar lures) with double jerking techniques for bigger bass. Hope u have better luck next time.

[/img]

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Good choice:

BTMBASS said:
if your water is stained to murky nothing beats a red colored Rat-l-Trap; for clear water try a 3" orange grub or smoke colored tube texas rigged
BTMBASS: That red one is also one of my favorites. Also I have good luck with the Blue one. At first I was reluctant to use a blue one,but after fishing with one guide in Canada, he said he uses that blue rattletrap 90 per cent of the time, no matter what lake he goes on. That made a believer out of me.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Good choice:

BTMBASS said:
BTMBASS: That red one is also one of my favorites. Also I have good luck with the Blue one. At first I was reluctant to use a blue one,but after fishing with one guide in Canada, he said he uses that blue rattletrap 90 per cent of the time, no matter what lake he goes on. That made a believer out of me.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Fishing for bass

wake up 2 fish said:
where did u get all the action at?? No one on here wants to share the locations :-?

Most of the time I am at a private lake. However I use to go to Shabona lake. They have some good bass action around the lily pads in the refuge area, and also on the East Bay where there is a lot of vegetation. Try any local pond. If you check the archives there are many post on public ponds. And of course if your looking for small mouth bass, you can't beat the Fox River no matter what town you fish in. My favorite spots on the fox were in Geneva and North Aurora.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Fishing for bass

wake up 2 fish said:
where did u get all the action at?? No one on here wants to share the locations :-?

Most of the time I am at a private lake. However I use to go to Shabona lake. They have some good bass action around the lily pads in the refuge area, and also on the East Bay where there is a lot of vegetation. Try any local pond. If you check the archives there are many post on public ponds. And of course if your looking for small mouth bass, you can't beat the Fox River no matter what town you fish in. My favorite spots on the fox were in Geneva and North Aurora.

·
Registered
614 Posts
the red crawfish Rat-l-trap bite has died on my pond already, i think the water is warm enough where the bass are keying in on the minnows; i got about 9 Largemouths on a black and gold Rapala yesterday with an aggressive twitch retrieval.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts