ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Nautilus starting battery and Delco Trolling battery and it is time to purchase replacements. Liked the previous two but having difficulty finding them in my area. I need some advice on what you guys have had recent success with. I am not interested in Optima at this time. Please be as specific as possible as to what and where. I live in Bloomington/Peoria area. I am trying to save time and travel to get this project done. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up 2 Exide Nautalus Gold Series from Murrays Auto Supply in Chicago for around 90.00 each.

I have a group size 24 for the starting and electronics and a size 27 for the 55lb trolling motor.

The 27 lasts all day on the troller moving a 17ft. Deep V around in river current.

I've also heard good things about the Everstart batteries from WalMart.

BB

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Everstart batteries have served me well in vehicles, riding mower,
and I bought two deep-cycle group twenty four's for my trolling motor.
On a recent trip, using exclusively the trolling motor (45 lbs.), I was out all day without having to tap into the second deep-cycle.
First time out with this seemed good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'v had god luck with Interstate Batteries, They have both starting and deepcycle batteries. There easy to find, Sam's club has them.maybe even walmarts.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trojan makes the most powerful wet cell deep cycle and starting batteries available. Their gel cells are among the best as well, but I prefer the longevity of wet cells.

I use a Trojan SC225 for the front trolling motor, an SC200 for the rear trolling motor, and a TM-1300 for starting, electronics and accessories.

They are not the cheapest on the block but well worth it.

G

·
KP said:
Trojan makes the most powerful wet cell deep cycle and starting batteries available. Their gel cells are among the best as well, but I prefer the longevity of wet cells.

I use a Trojan SC225 for the front trolling motor, an SC200 for the rear trolling motor, and a TM-1300 for starting, electronics and accessories.

They are not the cheapest on the block but well worth it.

What he said!!! :)2 :)2 :)2

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had good luck with the Everstart batteries from Wal-Mart too... plus if you're traveling and there's a problem, warranty replacement is usually accessible....I run a 55# Powerdrive on a 27... it lasts me all day.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
everstart from walmart

price is right and i've had mine for 4 years and still great battery for starting and trolling motor both. i bought it at walmart.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know alot of people like the Trojans but wonder if any has tried the Minn Kota labeled Trojans ? Same specs as the SC225 but dont know if there is a price difference

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe there is a price difference even though they are identical. Some of that may be because you can buy Trojans at any battery dealer that sells them versus Minnkotas only at marine and fishing supply type places.

In the Chicago area, it hard to beat Battery Service Corp on the price of Trojans.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm with RnR Fisherman!
Everstart from Wal-mart....they work just fine, and are relatively inexpensive. If it fails (it never has) at the launch, I would drive a mile down the road and exchange it out for free. Wal-marts are everywhere and as long as you have the documentation, they are fairly liberal with returns/exchanges
btw, I'm on the water about 100 days a year, if that matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all of you who have responded. It has been very helpful. Anyone else who has information, please share. It is great knowing that you can get such help from people who are knowledgeable about what they speak.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I had to replace the trolling motor batteries a couple summers ago and did some research into things like gell cells, low or no maintenance batteries etc. I found the good ol' Walmart Everstarts are the cheapest and most bang for the buck overall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts