ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Amazing is right,every time I log on I check and subscribers/members are always outnumbered by at least 5-1 :-?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
It gives some credence for using the subscribers forum to post reports. When you make it public it is being viewed by many more people then most think :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Seems like there are large numbers of information seekers who don't give anything back. Earlier this week I noticed 8 subscriber/members and over 90 guests. From now on I will only be posting reports and pics from smaller bodies of water in this forum.

·
Registered
642 Posts
There probably are more guests, but I bet there are also members 'browsing' that aren't logged in. A lot of times I'm not logged in unless I'm making a reply.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trent said:
There probably are more guests, but I bet there are also members 'browsing' that aren't logged in. A lot of times I'm not logged in unless I'm making a reply.
Yea but at 2am?? :eek:

I think allot of them at that time in the morning are not from this country.

·
Registered
642 Posts
True. I think a lot of the stuff at 2 a.m. is spam related things (that is the technical internet term, I think).

·
Registered
911 Posts
I also plan on making more reports in the subscribers section this year as opposed to my usual Northern Illinois Lakes and Ponds section. Not that I don't want to share, but I figure by splitting them and putting more in here maybe more people will pony up to see whatever I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
While discussing increading subscribership awhile back in the moderators forum, one of the things I proposed was allowing fishing reports to only be posted in certain forums. Viewing those forums would only be open to registered members, or even subscribers. To keep general traffic up, we leave General Discussion, Sound Off, Classifeds, Conservation, Digital Darkroom etc open. Reports would only then be allowed in forums dedicated to spedific bodies of water, ie. Fox River, Lake Michigan, Cooling Lakes etc....

Another thought would be to create a sub forum for each of those for reports only. For instance, Lake Michigan could have both a discussion and report forum. Discussion would be open for all to see, so one could ask questions and discussiong tackle, gear, presentations, etc. Reports would be just that, what is biting where, at what depth etc.

Any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
There are some sites I vist that you have to be a member, so when you post on a certain lake or body of water, it ask's if this is a fishing report ? Then you fill out type of fish , water temp. , air temp , weather, or ice thickness . I forget what else, but if your not logged in or a registered user you can't see the name of the lake or any of the other questions asked.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
One thing that I know to be true is that a certain number of those guests are search engines indexing the site.
One search engine may show as 10-20-30 guests.

They don't have just one spider but a bunch of those little creepy crawly things going at one time through the site.
Search engines and companies that supply them with indexing information supposedly try to do their major crawling through websites at, on average, low usage times.

A little explanation...
So late night through the early morning would be times when they typically crawl a website.
The spider lands on the forums list page and commits to it's spidy memory words on that page and when a word(s) is/are a link it sends a spidy clone to follow that link.

I looked one time at IP#'s logged onto the site once and wondered how the same IP could be looking at sooo many different pages at once.
I investigated the IP and found that the IP# belonged to Google.

Due to CLF's popularity we get full of spiders frequently.
There's plenty of lurkers to be sure though.
I was in a Gander Mountain last fall and a guy was looking at me kinda wierdly.
Kinda creeped me out :eek:
Then he said Ed? Now I was really creeped out :eek: :eek:
I replied with a tentative yeeaahh?
Then he said I thought so, I see your picture on CLF and your the guy that runs it right?
Ok, now I've had this happen like others have while you're fishing somewhere but never out of the blue in a store.
I asked what his name was on the the site and he replied that he has been reading for years but never registered.
That I've been told a bunch of times while fishing.

So in addition to the search engines making up a bunch of late-night through early-morning hour guests there are plenty of people that read the site but just don't register.
Some I would term lurkers and some are nice people that just like reading fishing related stuff.

Lurkers to me are people that won't register but will gladly go to your spot if you post about it.
The kind that while I'm out ice fishing will jump out of their car lightly dressed and ask how fishing is.
I always say not good, and then hear the reply, hmmm, wish they were hitting because I have all my gear in the car.
They then leave and I bring the fish up that has been on the line down their during our conversation 8:)

The other non-registered nice people are those that read because they find it interesting, maybe pick up a tip or two, but aren't going to go to your spot. They use it as a learning tool or just to pass the time.
Case-in-point - Out of the top 10 countries that visitors come to CLF from is Kuwait. Think maybe it's a soldier that needs a bit of something from home and likes to fish?
He/she/they have been on 55 times in the last month.

I think CLF would get more subscribers if more reports were in this forum.
I love it when once in a while I read stuff from some of you guys saying to another subscriber, check out my report in the subscriber forum.
I always laugh to myself thinking there's gotta be some members thinking... $%^# that sucks :x

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well then the simple answer to all the gripes would be to make more of the site "Subscription Only" I was a guest here for a time to kind of test ride the site and see if I liked it. I just signed up the other day because it didn't seem right to me to not be giving back to a site that has helped me out. $15 a year is such a cheap price for the good info you can grab off of this site. I've also managed to possibly make a new fishing buddy through this site. Basically, keep up the good work with the site and maybe think about making it a more exclusive website for the future.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
wmuallstar said:
I was a guest here for a time to kind of test ride the site and see if I liked it.
Kudos to you for being that kind of person. :)2
I wonder though if you couldn't read much of the site would you have hung around to see if you liked it?
Some may and some may think their not going to pay $15 to find out if they like it.

I thought I would get this info for the past month.
(it changes so if it isn't the same as when we had the top 10 contest...)
Some of our guests are also those that visit from out of state.
Disclaimer - Not sure what number 3 (not set) is, perhaps search engines?
In the past month we've been visited by someone from each of the 50 states plus the District of Columbia.
Here they are including the number of visits from each state.
HEY! There's a subscriber benefit hehe
==================
1. Illinois 53,867
2. New York 2,993
3. (not set) 1,084
4. New Jersey 995
5. Indiana 899
6. Wisconsin 761
7. California 759
8. Michigan 562
9. Texas 549
10. Minnesota 351
11. Iowa 319
12. Ohio 269
13. Kansas 216
14. Missouri 194
15. Connecticut 167
16. District of Columbia 166
17. Florida 165
18. Virginia 160
19. Pennsylvania 143
20. North Carolina 140
21. Colorado 122
22. Georgia 118
23. Arizona 116
24. Massachusetts 100
25. Louisiana 96
26. Washington 96
27. Maryland 83
28. Tennessee 62
29. Nebraska 62
30. Arkansas 46
31. South Carolina 44
32. Kentucky 40
33. New Mexico 33
34. Oklahoma 29
35. Oregon 26
36. Alabama 23
37. Montana 19
38. Idaho 18
39. Nevada 16
40. Mississippi 15
41. Utah 13
42. South Dakota 12
43. West Virginia 11
44. New Hampshire 9
45. Maine 9
46. Hawaii 8
47. Vermont 8
48. Delaware 8
49. North Dakota 7
50. Rhode Island 5
51. Wyoming 4
52. Alaska 3

·
Registered
356 Posts
I totally understand what your saying Ed but there are a LOT of people who think they should get everything for free and will reap the benefits of this site without contributing a nickel. Maybe what you could do is make their guest account only valid for a certain amount of days, say a week or two to test out, THEN they would have to pay. Just an idea that Im sure has been put to you before. In any case keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Too bad I'm retired ; all thoose people coming on this site , I'd have to addvertise and buy some add space. But seriously , thoose are just my friends looking to see if I posted anything new. :roll:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I may not be the one to post this because I don't post/use the fishing reports, but the idea of having sub-sections of each forum for reports sounds good. At least make someone register to use those, if not subscribe.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Maybe we should just expand the subscribers forum??? We could create some sub forums that the topics of which could be seen from the latest posts list, but the forum itself not accessible to non subscribers... For instance, if we created a forum "subscriber Reports" and let say, Tren posts a report "amazing walley bite with pics", then everyone could see the name of the topic but only subscribers would be able to read it.

A couple of random thougts on sub forums would be... Subscriber Reports, Subscriber Raffles & Contests (maybe offer monthly trinkets or gear) Subscriber Outings, Subscriber Discount offers (maybe work a deal with sponsors to offer special rate to CLF subscribers) These are just a few that come to mind.

In just a week or two, we should be putting the charter boat in the water. I plan on doing a couple of shake down trips in which I will open the boat up to subscribers only, and will post accordingly. Of course, I'll ask them to chip in for gas, but nothing like a paid charter (usually $20-$30 depending on how many go and how long we fish)

I think if more subscribers start to post here more and limit some of their generosity to subscribers only, we could seriously increase the amount of subscribers in no time. Again, just random, not thought out, simply first thing that came to mind thoughts.....

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Actually Tom, that would be a possibility.
Just like we have catagories for rivers and lakes we could have a catagory which would list the subscriber forums.

All would see them instead of just one subscriber forum.

We don't want to limit everything because let's face it, the advertisers we do have don't want the number of people seeing their ad go down.
Of course we don't want to come up with forums for the subscriber catagory, which will be viewable to everyone, and have very few posts on them.
I guess what I'm saying is the individual forums have to be broad enough so they get used.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I got an idea. I'll post the truth in the subscriber forum and lie big time in the regular forum. :lol:

ie. BURNHAM HARBOR REPORT. Caught 5 coho using grasshoppers by the pipe. Hot new bait.

I bet these guys go raid the pet stores and the bucket heads come out!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well one thing you could offer as subscriber only...if people are willing to pitch in are section maps of the water around here along with marked places you can park, access, and any hot spots people may want ot put down on the maps.

I know that I would have subscribed just to see something like that if I was on the fence or holding off. My biggest challenge around here is to find places I can park and not get a ticket or be trespassing when fishing the rivers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts