1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out articles in

www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Articles- installing an anchor system

Also, other good information about depth finder, and other stuff to your kayak!

Any idea other way to anchor on kayak?

I will plan to set up an anchor and depth finder when I get my kayak soon!
I would not use anchor to go out very windy or strong currents! Just need anchor to keep me stay in one spot longer in prime big fish area!
What do you think of 5 lbs metal weight? That you use it for work out!

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I went from using a 10 lb rubber coated mushroom boat anchor to a 3 lb one that opens up like a grappling hook. For my Lake Michigan drift fishing, I think a drift sock will be the best and am going to pick one up next week.

Whatever you use, you'll probably want an anchor trolley system to get the anchor or sock to the back or front of the boat.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scotty anchor lock with mount look good also Cabela's catalog.....anchor pulley is lock and release pulley! When you push button to release to let anchor to the bottom then when you are done and push the button open then pull the rope to let anchor go up! Problem is where the rest of rope go? I think about drilling hole behind of my seat and let rope go inside when you pull the rope and the back of rope already go inside back of the kayak! Just don't let all rope out and you have to push the rope into the hole! Maybe I use anchor up to 12 feet deep so all I need is about 40 feet of rope! All I need up to about 35 feet of rope so the rest is 5 feet left always inside behind of my seat. Would it work? Maybe I have to see kayak fishermen' s kayak to see how it works! Before I put on my anchor!

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Do not get all excited about trolleys. I use a piece of 3/16th polyester rope front handle thru side handle to back handle with a 1.25 ring attached. anchor rope is same stuff on a reel from homedepot. I just attach rope to ring after anchoring then let out rope till it goes to end I want. 3 lb mushroom works for me but might be a 5 never weighed the garage sale item.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone who use anchor......I like to know which is best to put an anchor in kayak......front or back????
Front for easier to control the kayak?

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Anchoring off back makes most sense in most conditions. If your fishing up stream like a dam or something front might work.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Mine's in the back. I've got my rodholders, electronics, transducer and all my gear in front of me.

Plus you're fishing facing forward for the most part. If your anchor was in the front, it would be a mess if the fish you're fighting keep swimming circles around your anchor rope.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RonG

Thanks! Back make more sense! I don't want to fight with fish in the front rope!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts