ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year snapped my steering cables by leaving my trolling motor down and dummy me took off at full throttle. Is there any trolling motor repair guys out there ? Reply or PM ME and we'll work out a deal.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
There's a guy in DaKalb that is supposed to be really good. From what I hear. Only problem is, he is loaded with work, and it takes a while for repairs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
:-D Done the cable repair a few times over the years, it was tricky
the first time . Took a full morning to do ,breakdown,learn it's parts and workings ,reassemble.Ordered a spare set of cables the last time to keep in the boat and haven't had a problem in a while.... :)2 Repair guy suggested I buy a newer model from him "because this one was too old to repair ". Was all the motivation I needed to do it my self......
Crappie Professor <º))><

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yep....The guy in Dekalb did good work for me on an old MinnKota. He is certified by both MotorGuide and Minnkota for repairs. He works out of his garage where he has a great shop with water testing and everything.
He is just off Hwy 38 in Dekalb.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kinda started with the mess now. It's a Minn Kota 40 AT It seems the only problem is fishing the new cable back through the wire housing. Maybe make a slit in it and tape it back up ? I'll get but it looks like patience is a key with this sucker. Thanks for the advice.

G

·
Is that a rubber boot the cables go through? Maybe push a hard tube, copper for example, thru and then thread the cables thru the tube. Hard to tell looking at the schematic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah it's like a rubber tube to house the cables. Pulling them out was fun enough, lets see putting it back in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The guy in Dekalb (east side of town on Rt 38) fixed mine. Great service and reasonable price. I can't remember his name. I think if you called J&M Marine in Dekalb they'd give you his name/number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts