ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone caught any Catfish in the Cal-Sag this year. I remember about 20 years ago, we caught some nice 1-4 lb cats just west of 127th street. We would fish the creek or overflow discharge behind Cal's(remember this Place? ) in April when the warm water was creating a little current in the canal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i fished the cal sag all summer with my friend dan, and the only catfish we ever caught in there was bullheads. But we usually fish under the western avenue bridge in blue island. Caught lots of Carp, thats what we was usually after.

We started fishing the I&M in Lockport under the 159th st. bridge though, and that place is infested with big cats, so that is my spot now, except for my "pond" which by far has the biggest fish. (read post in northern illinois, joey's pond)

·
Registered
117 Posts
While fishing for bass my buddy got a 4-5lb cat on a jig and pig, Thought he had the rare monster cal-sag bass, till we finally seen it. So they must be in there. :)2

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have caught big channel cats out of there in my boat. Just using a whole night crawler going after bass. Try downed trees and some of the bays by the marinas. The key for us was down trees tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this from experience.Plenty of bigger cats to be caught!Try fishing the flats (2-5 feet of water) with anything, crawlers, liver, stinkbait, etc. in early evening (3-5 pm). Usually you can start off with carp earlier and catfish will follow soon after. I have had good luck catching many cats between 5 and 8 pounds. I live close to the Cal Sag, fish it all the time, stay in the shallows and have a good time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
catman what area are you in? and do you fish it from shore or boat? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone caught any Catfish in the Cal-Sag this year. I remember about 20 years ago, we caught some nice 1-4 lb cats just west of 127th street. We would fish the creek or overflow discharge behind Cal's(remember this Place? ) in April when the warm water was creating a little current in the canal.
Crazy how many years later this is but just a couple days ago I caught abt a 20-28 pound cat there’s definitely monsters in that canal just fish with shrimp they love it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts