ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hitting the Forest Preserve lakes and haven't really gotten anything. The only serious time I've put in has been at West Branch, but I also hit Mallard and Cricket Creek but got skunked.

Has anyone else had any luck, and if so what, on what and where?

·
Registered
38 Posts
TCWJoe said:
I have been hitting the Forest Preserve lakes and haven't really gotten anything. The only serious time I've put in has been at West Branch, but I also hit Mallard and Cricket Creek but got skunked.

Which of the ponds at CC did you fish??? I find that Stonewort Pond is more active in the spring by casting crankbaits kind of parallel to shore, mainly in silver/blue/black. Floating Rapala types... Also at CC fish Green Lake on the North end...it heats up earlier...I already caught a few on rubber warms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
TCWJoe said:

Just an additional note, a few years ago I was out there in the spring and I met a guy who was working Riverbend Pond, the one with the RC boat sign, with a small jig and minnows, he caught some really nice crappies there. He tells me that there are some "white" bass in there from when Salt Creek over flows. I didn't think Salt Creek has WB either. I didn't see him catch any that day but he sure did catch some crappie.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am terrible at remembering the names of lakes within the preserves.

At cricket creek I am fishing lures only because I go on my lunch, and my co-workers don't like me putting worms in the fridge. Yesterday I actually fished salt creek on my lunch on the other side of the dam/walk bridge just south of Fullerton (There was someone in the spot I wanted when I showed up). Had a small hit on a rattle-trap, otherwise nothing. I also jigged some twister-tail grubs but nothing.

The day before I fished the middle pond (second one north of the hotel) had no luck, but saw a guy down the bank reel in what looked like a really silvery crappie (possibly a white bass). I used a small crankbait that looked frogish (I noticed a lot of frogs the otherday) a texas rigged chartreuse worm, and Mepps that has a minnow instead of a bucktail.

Late last week I fished the northern pond (just south of Fullerton) on the north end, nothin at all. Rattle-Trap, and Mr. Twisters I think.

I think my problem is that since I am fishing "on the clock" my presentation sucks because I feel rushed and I am trying to get a much in as I can before I go back to work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
....if you are forced to fish more quickly than you like you should maybe try some things that are meant to be fished fast.....try a small booyah pond magic buzz bait, you can cover a lot of water and although its early, you never know. or throw something that is just cast and retrieve, like a chatterbait. i prefer to fish slow, with a jig or texas rig, but i know when i'm short on time id ont even try those methods cuz i feel like i cant fully put the time in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
TCWJoe said:
I am terrible at remembering the names of lakes within the preserves.

At cricket creek I am fishing lures only because I go on my lunch, and my co-workers don't like me putting worms in the fridge. Yesterday I actually fished salt creek on my lunch on the other side of the dam/walk bridge just south of Fullerton (There was someone in the spot I wanted when I showed up). Had a small hit on a rattle-trap, otherwise nothing. I also jigged some twister-tail grubs but nothing.

The day before I fished the middle pond (second one north of the hotel) had no luck, but saw a guy down the bank reel in what looked like a really silvery crappie (possibly a white bass). I used a small crankbait that looked frogish (I noticed a lot of frogs the otherday) a texas rigged chartreuse worm, and Mepps that has a minnow instead of a bucktail.

Late last week I fished the northern pond (just south of Fullerton) on the north end, nothin at all. Rattle-Trap, and Mr. Twisters I think.

I think my problem is that since I am fishing "on the clock" my presentation sucks because I feel rushed and I am trying to get a much in as I can before I go back to work.
The pond closest to the hotel is Riverbend then there is Stonewort and the furthest north is Green lake. Green Lake and Stonewort have fish cribs in them. Green lake cribs are located in the northeast side and southeast side. Stonewort are located in the far north and south sections.

The biggest bass I caught there was about 4 ponds last year when the were starting to bed. I only use artificial worms there with no additional weight. I had bst luck with pumpkin Gulp or red Berkley...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts