ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was out at monee today after work from 4:30 to 7. I didjn't have much time and i wanted to cover alot of water, so I was moving fast. Went to the back ponds to start. Did not spend long there. The front one was getting very weedy. Then I worked a little of the north shore. Nada, so I high tailed it to the island. I had one good hit in the channel from the main lake to the boat dock bay, but I was mesmerized by the swallows catching mayflies and reacted super late. D'oh! , but the birds were cool, so i don't mind too much. There was a guy there with a fly rod and some sort of dry fly. I had noticed something, probably a few gills, ambushing anything that floated by in the channel just off the drop off, so I let him take my spot to see if he could get 'em. He said they would hit, but he couldn't hook any. Tried close to the docks on the way out and talked with the guy who runs the bait shack. He said the fronts have the fish all messed up. I believe that, but I expected a little more anyway. On a side not, the guy caught a gill. As he was tossing it back, a very streetwise heron flew over to watch. He got another, and the heron just stared him down. He tossed the fish to him and the bird grabbed it and flew off, swalloing it on the fly. Another awesome thing to see. My one hit came on a texas-rigged zoom 6" pumpkin lizard. Next time, they won't get off so easy.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Been there and done that at Monee, Mike.
Just goes to show that as long as we are enjoying the outdoors, a slow day of catching can still be considered a great day.
Regarding the pre-frontal conditions, I've done very well out there in that circumstance.
I think the wind we've been experiencing has muddied the water too much and that might have been a contributing factor to the tough bite. Just a hunch :)25 See ya on the water......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.