ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be going to Apple River Canyon State Park for hiking, climbing, etc. within the next week or so and was wondering: What are the chances of finding any smallie action going on there? Never been there before, so I am not familiar with the area.
thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
River is full of smallies where I've fished in the past, but it was well downstream from the state park. I imagine they'll be there too but I've never fished the state park.

·
Registered
190 Posts
<font color="#00FF00">I AM AN AVID KANKAKEE RIVER SMALLIE ANGLER.I KNOW THE K3 IS THE BEST IN THE STATE, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO PUT APPLE TO THE TEST. I HAVE HEARD SOME GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT.NEVER BEEN THERE.ANYONE HAVE DIRECTIONS???ANDY P--INTERESTED IN GIVING IT A SHOT??DROP ME A LINE.</font>

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've heard that communism has taken it's toll up there and the only place that isn't marked up with them damn no tresspassin' signs is the state park...Unfortunately I'm gonna get to do about a week's worth of smallie fishin this year...I'm in carbondale going to school, originally from Oswego/Fox River. So I don't think I'll be heading to the Apple any time sone. Leave a post on the Illinois smallmouth Alliance website...someone there fishes it, w/access to private land. I don't know if he can lead you in the right direction...I know the Apple doesn't have nearly the discharge as the KKK...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be going to Apple River Canyon this weekend 8/9/02 - 8/11/02....

Just a little background first...

I grew up in the Florida keys saltwater fly fishing although I do have some experience in freshwater fly fishing, I am far from an expert but I usually get some.

I was roped into going camping there by my girlfriend because she has friends that are camping there this weekend also.

What to do....

FLY FISH FOR SMALLIES!

I was told by my friends at the Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters that this is a kick ass area to fish. They hooked me up with some new flies; Autumn Splender, Hoppers, mudders etc. I am now ready to go amphibian bruddah!

My friend will be using crankbaits from shore and I will be wading in. We hope to give you a real good fishing report on this area on Monday with a Camping review to boot.

Look for IT!

Bryan

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will be going to To apple cayon State park this week the 13 to the 14...

i was ther early this year and the smallie action was the best i have ever had...

i threw the rebel teeny craw alot and would say i landed 50 smallies in 2 days of fishing... i also landed my 2 bigest smallies buy drifting a live crayfish under a slip float...

My brother also landed a 12 inch rainbow from some of the faster moving water on one of thoes pink salmon eggs.

I cant wait to get back there

Again i will be there Aug. 13th and 14th fishing and camping with 3 buddies so if you see me .I will be wearing a tan plain hat and a backpack...say hello!

PeACE JPBASS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts