ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And what will we be using as far as lures or live baits???

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Just a plain hook with a split shot up a few inches and a minnow on the hook.
Jig will work too but a minnow being able to swim around that dead spot works best, then I don't have to physically move it.
I'm telling ya, you could do it with a Snoopy pole.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
I am going to the opener just one that is of the beaten path. For any of you near McHenry co. try the piscasaw up in CHemung. Atwood gets crazy and it can be tough without a boat.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank ya,Ed.Will give that a shot :)2 I heard salmon eggs are good too,speckled one or something like that.
Mother,your right about atwood...What a nightmare last year,even had some guys overturn their boat trying to get out there fast :eek:
Will try to get there earlier this year,if that helps :roll:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I generally throw 1/4 oz kastmasters and cleos on 4 pound test line for the trout on Saturday. I'll probably pick up some minnows for the boy.
I'll be at axehead or beallue (sp?) shoulder to shoulder with the masses until we get our 5 or my son's fingers get numb from the cold.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The floating trout powerbait on a tiny treble works very well. Just add a split shot and tightline it. I have seen other baits get hot for awhile and then cool off, but the powerbait bite seems to always be on ;)

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Matt,c2mey...got skunked last year and had to put up with allotta rude people and the wind :evil: With these tips will try to get my limit this time,Gat guns here I come!Oh ya and a fishing license renewal too :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
If you really want to cheat, take a hand full of peagravel and throw it out in an area that you can cast to. These fish are pelet fed they will think it is pelets splashing into the water.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
powerbait on a tiny treble under a slip float on one rod. Then with the other rod, I tie a mini-mite with a 14-16 tag end left. To that I tie a tiny weighted nymph. Tip both the mini-mite and the nymph with a wax worm and toss them out, jig them back just off bottom. My 4 yr. old even took a double header this way last year!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outstanding you guys...Thanks!Mother,that is a neat concept :)2 ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't forget a chartreuse rooster tail or small panther martins on 4lb test. I also us water bobber with a wooly bugger fly. On opening day you really cant lose with anything posted above. The key is after opening weekend when the population is knocked down to a few hundred fish. You have to be work harder and move with the wind direction and be able to change between lures, live bait, or powerbait. On the first trout opener in the late 80's I caught my first trout on a nightcrawler and the rest on velveta cheese. Other guys were using corn and marshmallows. Things have changed a lot in 20 years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did great last spring at Blackwell using 1 1/2" tubejigs with 1/2 nightcrawler on them. Had a couple on powerbait salmon eggs. The guys using minnows really had the action though. Those fish were looking for meat, not the microscopic flys. Almost all the trout were at least 2 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
ANYTHING under a float 1 to 1 1/2 ft down. Can't miss! Limit in 20 minutes and then smash the barbs and release them and piss off the bucket heads.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone :)2 Got my license renewed yesterday,picked up some salmon eggs and powerbait nuggets.Put on a splitshot with small trebles about a foot under.Got the warm season bag outta the trunk(those chicken livers are still in there :roll: )and put away the ice fishing tackle box :cry: :cry: :cry: And ta show ya I am a fisherman with ethics my warm season bag still had butts lined all over the bottom,but at least they were not on some shore.Good luck to all on saturday,thanks for helping an old fisherman out!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Find the right spot on the lake and they'll be stacked up most likely.

Find that spot and throw something small and shiny.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SS,my partner picked up four mepps just like your saying....and hes storing them in my tackle bag...hmmm ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
#2 Mepps worked last year with silver blades. 1/4 oz kastmasters were good too.

The old man that hangs out down by Otto has some funny stories. Basically saying how they'll hit anything if you find where they are. Throw a cigarette butt out there and they'll hit it.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Rooster tails

I generally have luck with the 1/8 oz rooster tails. Silver blade, black feathers. Hopefully I will be at Silver lake tomorrow later in the morning. I will probably have to wait for a spot to open, but I am in no hurry. I want to avoid the mad rush early in the morning. It should be a nice day. I also use that Berkley dough bait. and or velvetta cheese. I will bring some worms along for good measure.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: Rooster tails

Chuck said:
I generally have luck with the 1/8 oz rooster tails.
Chuck...you noticed anything about the rooster tails their making now? Like their spinning action, We've been having a lot of problems with the blades not spinning right, It started last year on the Wolf for the white bass run, I'm wondering if their useing a different metal on them, We do put our own little bend in them to get more spin, but their just not the same action anymore...Your thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts