ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lion Fish are an invasive species. I was in Florida this winter and videod these Lion Fish and was surprised to see the guys on the show Tanked were putting them in their huge deluxe aquariums. Then i found out you can buy them for about $40 each. What we allow to happen sometimes is beyond belief. We wash and clean our trailers for vegetation and pet stores sell invasive? Go Figure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZhmvjCCNJc

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
See Snakeheads. I used to have them in my tank. There are giant goldfish swimming around in Lake Michigan. That's how a lot of invasive species have become invasive. They were around on the pet trade, people didn't want them and let them go in the wild. Since there are no natural predators, there is nothing to keep them in check and they become a nuisance. Mostly in warmer climates, pythons in the everglades. There are numerous invasive species in the South Florida waterways. Peacock bass were introduced to help the problem, this was a successful introduction of an invasive. Cane Toads in Australia, unfortunately the list goes on and on. Lionfish are supposed to be good eats, you just have to be careful with cleaning them because of poisonous spines. My brother lived in St. Croix, he would shoot them with a speargun. He said the locals would cheer when he came out of the water with a stringer full. Mops

1 - 3 of 3 Posts