ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Anyone who I've heard tried it liked it. Most soaked it in milk before cooking. I've never tried it myself, but drum are a close relative of Redfish and Black Drum which are saltwater species and highly sought after fish for their tasty meat. Try it and let us know.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I've tried and it wasn't bad.
I didn't soak it or cut of the dark meat though, so it had a stronger taste than other fish I've had fileting and cooking the same way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed how does it compare to the taste of catfish . would it be like a fryin fish or a baked one ?

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I haven't eaten catfish in a while either but as I remember it was a little stronger.
If I would have taken off the dark meat I think it would have been pretty similar.
I would try it again sometime for sure but I would take of the darker parts and probably soak them.
There sure are enough of them in the Fox to not hurt anything.
If I keep fish though it's usually during colder water months or through the ice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
freshwater drum eating

I'm not a cooking expert, but I love to eat fish I catch once in awhile. In my experience, freshwater drum are best if kept alive, cleaned and eaten asap. If they are dead, frozen, and thawed, then cooked, yuk. Also, I wouldn't eat any from the Illinois, Des Plaines, Saganashskee Slough (Yes, Saggy is loaded with them and white perch which...incidently are also in Lake Michigan. They resemble white bass, but aren't. I've eaten both drum and white perch from Saggy and I'll never do that again. I thing they eat mud or something.), or from Lake Michigan. Definately remove the skin and darker meat. Be aware that fresh water drum have been in ILDNR consumption advisories for years. Also, when you go to a store that sells fish, be leary of ones that say "silver bass" as these are either white perch or freshwater drum. Good eatin'!

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Sheep head for eating

One guy at the Wolf river in Wisconsin told us that they were good eating. One day when we caught white bass and sheaphead, I told my wife to keep the fillets separate when frying. When we had them that afternoon, we kept them separated on 2 individual plates. We didnd't mention to my brother and his buddy that the fish were different. My brother and his buddy couldn't tell the difference between them. My wife and I couldn't tell the difference. Now of course these fish were caught in Spring and the Wolf river is deep and fairly clean. How this all started was my brother was filleting them for his cat. When my brother told him that, the guy said" Forget the cat they are good eating." That is how it all started.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've eaten them outta the chain. Not bad, but then again this was wintertime! Not much meat on the ones in pistakee bay, the pound-poundandahalfers. They must not have too much to eat out there!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've eaten sheepshead out of the Kankakee. I filete em and fried em. I thought they were pretty good. However, they were fairly small, about a pound or two.

282 Posts
Only eat them when they are small they taste better and kill don a few more of the pop :)2 :)2 /beer Cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had them from the Missisippi, wrapped in foil, butter-lemon-salt-pepper, and cooked on a grill. They were very tasty. We did eat them only hours after we caught them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys . Well i asked cause i was hungry for some fish , now i have been cauthing crappie bass and bluegill so i cured that appitite but when i start the cat fishing ill keep some and give her a whirl . thanks again i thought everyone would think i was crazy for wanting to try these ugly sheephead.lol :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I have been doing Lake Erie Walleye for 9 years. We catch tons of Sheep Head. We call them ShitHeads. Anyway we always talked about eating one but the captain would not keep any. We would throw one in the cooler and he would throw it out later. So finally we kept one. We fried it. It was terrible. It was so tough could not even bite off a piece.
Later I read that you can steam them cool them down and dip in cocktail sauce. Always wanted to try. It does have texture like Lobster. Maybe small one taste differant.
Goodluck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Definitely agree with what others said about cutting off the dark meat and eating right away. A good salt wash and rinse helps too. Breaded and fried in olive oil, my wife and I didn't notice too much of a difference between the drum and perch. Neither of us liked them grilled--too chewy. Kinda smelly, and really scaly cleaning. Dudes were catching ones up to about 15 lbs. on the shoe at Montrose last July.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts