ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whaen I was around 8 years old my Uncle (aunt's ex-husband) had started taking me perch fishing at Waukegan harbor, and Montrose harbor. It was some of the most fun fishing I had ever had.

I haven't gone for a long time, and want to take my nephew, and was wondering where I could but bait near the lake. Specifically I want to buy crawdads (live crawdads if possible, but I know regulations on that are all screwy). I live in Bartlett, and any place between here and there that opens EARLY and sells crawdads is great. I know we used to hit the road about 4:30/5:00 from Villa Park to get to our spots, so I figure anyone that opens six/seven/or maybe even eight AM should be fine.

Thanks all...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
There's a place in montrose harbor called Park Bait. I've seen live crawdads there before. You may want to call them about hours and bait...Perch should begin picking up soon

Park Bait Company, 600 W. Montrose, (773) 271-2838

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Joe, your probably 3 weeks away from getting any real perch. Maybe longer with the long winter we had. And you generally won't get anything on crayfish till late may, early June. Henry's on 31st and Canal st. sells live baby crayfish also later in the year. Last year was a great year for perch in montrose harbor using fathead minnows in the am and then late in the day fish were caught on shad raps, any silver type pattern, #5's. Right now for the next couple weeks your best hope is brown trout or a school of cohos coming in, but it's pretty slow out there now. Give it some time and when the water temp hits 52ish to 60 you'll pound the perch as long as you have a couple days of west, southwest winds before you go out.

Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't planning on getting out yet. I was going to wait until school was out for the little guy. I figured I'd take a week day off from work and take him out on the lake then so there would be less crowds and distractions so I could really teach him some stuff (get him off that stupid Spiderman pole and onto a "big boy" fishing pole too)

I remember my spots out on the peir (I fished there a few times after I would leave my ex's house) but I just couldn't remember where to buy bait.

I definately want to take him out fishing with crawdads. Even if minnows are hitting better, I just want him to get exposed to something new.

·
Registered
450 Posts
hey TCWJoe -- just a heads-up for you before you headout to the peir at montrose. things have changed around there since you've gone. the entrance to the horseshoe is in the same location - it's just disguised a little with block-off barriers at the entrance, trees and shrubs. if you look before you grab you're gear you should be fine. don't forget the lifevest for the little one - just encase the waves are kickin' up that day. better safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts