ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)11 Not to make a huge deal out of what some may perceive as "petty", but I am really upset over the lack of trout in Banana. The DNR is far to casual in the way they treat this process. People are not only buying trout stamps & licences, but let's not forget the $ tied to the vacation time people take to enjoy the trout fishing. Also, what about parents who plan quality time with there kids months in advance to take advantage of opening week(fun learning experience for the young future fisherman/fisherwoman of tomorrow).

So....if the lake wasn't stocked - and I would wager it wasn't, where did the funds go? Do we have a misappropriation of funds(similar to other areas of the goverment we hear about on the news), or is it that someone is simply not doing their job? At a minimum there should have been notification on the DNR's website that the lake was not stocked as planned.

Who is accountable for this?? Anyone else feeling the same as me?

·
Registered
122 Posts
All you have to do is read my comments below "CaffeineShooter". It is definately a disgrace, and even though I don't have kids, I agree with you 120% on your comments!!! It's a pity that no one is held accountable for this...

TNote

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If I got this mad every time I was skunked at a "stocked" lake I would quit the sport altogether....

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only reason anyone is getting mad is because we live by it and know the history- not because it's a "stocked" lake. That's not even the point here. The point is that residents pay $ for a trout stamp because they abide by Illinois laws. I'm sure they expect the same in return...

Thanks,
TNote

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw over 20 fish taken out in the first 3 hours so I doubt that these were all holdovers. Maybe they didnt stock 600 like was said but it was definitely stocked

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Didn't they stock the trout in the wrong lake last year, or the year before.Could they have done it again? There are several lakes back there I know they're suppose to stock them in Banana but they have made that mistake in the past.

·
Registered
440 Posts
something is definantly up with that. i wanted to catch some trout out of there for the first time in years and it was dissappointing! Everyone that was there feels cheated and for good reason! I wouldnt have WASTED the money for the dam stamp if i knew there weren't going to be any fish to be caught. i did however end up in the fox river later to catch my 2 walleyes, but thats besides the point. the point is is that fishing CANT be this bad every day there, if they stocked as many trout as what was said, nearly everyone should have gotten their limit. ITS THE POINT OF IT! Easy, fun fishing, doesn't matter how simple or dumb, it's just a place you can go and catch fish.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
When did you get out there? I used to buy a stamp in years past and try and catch a few trout, but after the first few days after season opener, fishing gets pretty tough. I eventually stopped wasting my time and money.

It was either :
A) Fish opening day in elbow to elbow crowds, frustrated, tangling my gear, but catching my limit Or...
B) Wait a few days or a week for the crowds to die down, and either work my butt of for a fish, or go home skunked.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fish are there, you just need to catch them. Just because they stocked that joint doesn't mean you can just walk out with them. You gotta earn your keep sonny.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
SS said:
Fish are there, you just need to catch them. Just because they stocked that joint doesn't mean you can just walk out with them. You gotta earn your keep sonny.
Good call. I buy a stamp for salmon every year, sometimes I catch them, sometimes I don't...If I wanted a guarantee I would go to Jewel and buy salmon, or trout. Or I could go to a trout dude ranch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts