ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in school now at NU, in Evanston, and of course would love to fish the big pond, but unfortunately I dont know where to begin. can someone maybe give me a little advice to where maybe I could locate some smallies close to the Evanston campus. Has anyone had any luck here? Just wondering. I have the rod and lures I need, but just wondering if there were any oppurtunities anyone knew of close to here. Thanks! Tight Lines Y'all!

·
Registered
197 Posts
isn't there a fairly good sized pond on campus that is seperated from lake michigan by a riprap wall? could have swore this to be. if you can fish tha lake on campus, i would try there. i would imagine if there are bass in that lake they would be largemouth...but who know's. also there is a small 2 or 3 block stretch of rock-boulder-rap, right on sheridan road by the cemetary that seperates chicago(rogers park) and the start of evanston (maybe only 3 or 4 miles from campus) you could park on east lake terrace (which i lived on years ago)and walk the whole wall. i caught my first lake michigan smallmouth (only 10 inches) off that wall 10 years ago. in much warmer weather, i might add. have never went back because we moved to the western burbs and it's such a small area, not worth the drive. also click on the aerial map on the grey link bar at the top of this page and scout the whole northern suburbs for small unlikely or large likely spots to try. good luck. dave p.s. use this link to check out wilmette harbor which is very close to you. don't know if there are any fish there but there could be. http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/lakemich.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skitterpop on 2002-04-08 00:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I wish we could fish that lake on campus numerous times I have walked by seeing carp that would go about 15-20 lbs, and also seen some HUGE largemouth easily 8 lbs, but they are real strict about fishing the lake I have walked down there and checked it out, and I always get someone that says you know there is no fishing here, and I dont even have a rod what is that? Oh well, I def. hope to get out to the spots you mentioned! I am a little interested in knowing if the smallies come in close enough on those seawalls right off campus and the random dog beach area, hopefully get to try these out soon!!! Thanks Again and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
197 Posts
what! WHAT!!!8POUNDER'S!!!??? get creative man...do the jamesbond-stealthninja-navyseal-blacked out face thing and go night fishing...jesus. can't tell me there's absolutly nothing to hide behind out there...we're talking breakin' rules, not laws here (isn't college the place to do it). there isn't a person on these boards who hasn't done the "oh really, i'm not supposed to be fishin' here? my apologies" thing. i'm half kidding with ya...but only half. the walls you were talking about will probably have smallmouths at sometime during the season. good luck. dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I definately will try the James Bond stealh approach for sure this Spring, I will let you in a secret there is more than one 8 lber, saw another today at least 5lb, thats definatley made my decision, I hope that I dont get skunked in such an attempt I def. wont! I will tell you how I do, the water is still pretty cold I may wait a few weeks til its a little warmer, but definately anxious to do it! Dave, hopefully I got stories even some pictures to show you from this expedition. Even better maybe like your name implies I may throw some skitterpops at night, wow would that be fun, and less likely to be caught! Thanks again for the info, I also will fish those walls and tell you if I see any movement towards my bait! Tight Lines! John
P.S.--> College definately the place to break rules I would agree 100 % I have done my share of that ! All they money they put into this place I am sure that one fisherman wont cause to much of a disturbance! Haha

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should try playing hide and seek with the forest preserve cop's spotlight. I have taken "HUGE" large mouth from the cook county forest preserve lakes (Turtlehead etc.) at night. The only hard part is finding a place to park. When the weather warms up, try the for pres ponds at night. During the summer when it is real hot, the bass only bite at night. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.