ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip to beck this year and it was a good one.I didnt expect to catch much but I did pretty well.I fished from 11-3.

Totals:
1 Northern Pike(20")on minnow-first Beck pike for me!
15-20 crappie(5-7" but one lunker 11.5")on minnows and worms
16 bluegill(5-7") on worms
2 Perch (8") on minnows and worms.

I also saw a huge crappie-eating bird that scared the hell out of me. When I was retying a jig it swam up to shore and turn around and almiost fall in. This bird is bigger than a goose and could go under water and come up on the other side of the lake. when I caught my pike I thought it was the bird. Alll in all i had a good first trip to Beck this year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Was this bird black and white with a ring around its neck? Could it have been a Loon.

I could be on thin ice here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amused on 2002-04-07 11:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do yoou get to beck lake from the south suburbs..........and what part of the lake did you fish.........

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know exactly how to get there from that far away but its next to the 294 so i'd say take the 294 north to golf rd. take golf to East river road and go north till you hit central road and it will be right in front of you. just follow the forest preserve road. if you go dont sit down or touch the ground because of all the goose and dog crap.

G

·
That fish eating bird was a Cormorant, they are becoming more common in the area the last few years and are a real problem, just a few of them can clean out a smaller pond in a very short time, saw one at my fav. retention pond suckin' down 6-8 bass like a teenager wolfing down french fries, repeated casts with a big Rat'l Trap in his "general direction" sent him looking for friendlier waters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bob Hicks on 2002-04-21 22:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think next time i go to beck ill have to go hunting! on the 6th i only saw 1 of those demon bird on the 20th there were about ten of them. they were only cormorantlings but were still eating fish. sure hope thay dont clean the lake out

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well what ever they are they always scar the sh*t out of me and eat the fish that i could be catching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts