ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a kayak and don't own a boat, I want to hit the small lakes,ponds and some rivers this year. I've been researching a little bit and it seems Certain kayaks are best for rapids and others for fishing. I was looking through basspro.com and saw the otter series, I was almost ready to drive down and pick up the xt when I realized the reviewers that were 6' tall said it was tight and not a ton of cargo room.I'm 6'0 by the way. Any kayak veterans know of some good fishing kayaks under or around 500$? I'll take all the info I can get. Thanks, would also like to prop it up in the back of a pick up truck so no 20 footers please.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/

Good site with a lot of knowledgable yakers.

When I was thinking of getting a yak, I did a lot of research. The first decision you need to make is if you want a SOT or SIK. Seems for what you want a SOT would be best. I had decided to go with a SIK and I was looking at a Wilderness System Pungo in the 12'-14' range but for what you're doing a good SIK would be a 10' or 12' Wilderness System Pamlico. They sell these at Dick's and the 10' is under $500. I don't know a lot about SOT but I know a lot of guys talk about Prowlers. Hope it helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pswitzer said:

Good site with a lot of knowledgable yakers.

When I was thinking of getting a yak, I did a lot of research. The first decision you need to make is if you want a SOT or SIK. Seems for what you want a SOT would be best. I had decided to go with a SIK and I was looking at a Wilderness System Pungo in the 12'-14' range but for what you're doing a good SIK would be a 10' or 12' Wilderness System Pamlico. They sell these at Dick's and the 10' is under $500. I don't know a lot about SOT but I know a lot of guys talk about Prowlers. Hope it helps. Good luck.
thanks for the info, i go into this wanting something around 300 bux, realized i might regret it so did some searching and came to the conclusion of going for somethign else. I'm going to buy the emotions mojo angler kayak lol for around 700, hey you only live once. OH by the way what are scupper holes? Some people were worried about getting wet in this kayak with those holes, what are they for?

G

·
kman711 said:
pswitzer said:

OH by the way what are scupper holes? Some people were worried about getting wet in this kayak with those holes, what are they for?

Scupper holes are to make the yak self bailing. Water comes in, water goes out. Yes you will get wet. I plug the holes in my yak with corks or rubber plugs. You can also fish in waders if you want to stay dry and keep the self bailing feature.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hey kman,

One comment I read quite a bit was people saying how they wish they had bought their kayak sooner and how it was one of the best decisions they had made in term of fishing. LOL- I agree with the "you only live once statement." I think I've moved up my next boat timeline to next year. Good fishing

·
Registered
412 Posts
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/

They have alot of user reviews..

I went with the sit in to keep me and my gear dry when the water is still chilly.I have room for tackle between my legs up front and room behind my seat..I'm only 5'6" so I have plenty of leg room..
My Otters are really stable to fish from and the shorter length is excellant for the river and pond I fish,but I do not know how they handle larger water.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice choice KMan. Sit on Top is the way to go for kayak fishing in my opinion after several Tarpon fishing outings in Florida. More fishing features with SOT's as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can buy pre-made scupper plugs to plug the holes and keep the water down. They sell them in sml-med-lrg-xl, so you need to find out what size(s) are recommended for your boat. A cheaper option which many people recommend is the foam practice golf balls you cal buy at Wally-mart for $2. Just stuff them in the scupper holes you want to keep plugged all the time. If you are going out on big water where there is the chance of taking on bigger waves, go with ones you can easily remove. I use both options with my Search 13 SOT.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For the removable plugs, I ground a piece of pvc to a point and used it to punch plugs out a foam garden knee pad. Threaded a length af para cord thru a small hole and they work great on both my XFactor and my wifes Ocean Mars. The only holes I regularly plug are under the seat and we stay dry both in the river and on the lake. Shabbona Lake keeps calling and we may make a launch next Sunday if anybody's interested in joining.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Kman

Me, too! I plan to get one myself! I think sit on is better than sit in! I don't want to sit in and turn over! Diffcult to get out to the surface!

I am research to get what I want for myself! Main to fish small lakes, ponds and slow moving river like Des Plaines River and Rock River area!
Good luck to get what u want and let us know!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O.K might as well update it. I was originally gonna get an otter, then it turned into a mojo, and a few weeks ago I made the purchase on a A Manta Ray 14, I got a good deal on a website for 120 off. I got it in 2 weeks ago. Obviously with the weather I haven't had a chance t put it in yet. I got all the mods( rod holders, Graphs, anchor trolley system, etc...) after I take it out I will install them. I just need to purchase a paddle this week then on sat I will take her out for the first time on a local pond to get used to it. Thanks for all the advice. ALso Jc bank angler, I also am going to fish small lakes, some bigger ones(Lake MIchiagn close to the harbors), and the des plaines. This one I chose was a good fit for me.

I can't wait to get into all the nooks and crannies of local waters. :)2

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
JCbankangler said:
Kman
I think sit on is better than sit in! I don't want to sit in and turn over! Diffcult to get out to the surface!
While returning to shore last summer after some perching on Lake Michigan. I got flipped by a 5 foot breaking wave. I got ejected from my sit-in so fast I don't even remember it happening. I slid out like a greased pig, with no effort of my own to extract myself.

·
Registered
608 Posts
RonG
I don't even know that they let you out to Lake Michigan!
Glad that you are okay!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm glad my Otter has a pretty big cockpit opening...I took my Gf out for her 1st time in a yak last year on the Vermillion river...A 1/2 mile from the launch site is a small island and where you paddle around it, a big tree is laying half way across the water...I went through 1st and turned around and told her to try to follow where I went....
Well she hugged the shore instead and hit the tree and the yak flipped over and went under the tree and dumped her out...She's holding onto the tree with water rushing over her and screaming...
I jump out of mine and start running over to her yelling STAND UP!!..She finally stood up and it wasn't even 3' deep....
Scared the crap out of me bad..
If it wasn't for the larger cockpit she probably would have been pinned under and drowned..

·
Registered
91 Posts
hey Kman that Manta Ray 14 looks like it should be a great kayak for fishing. when you get your paddle dont forget to buy a paddle leash. I wont go fishing with out mine. I nice not having to worry about your paddle while unhooking a salmon or a toothy pike. Those cohos can get a bit jumpy too while theyre inside the kayak. good Luck

Rob Wendel

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
JCbankangler said:
RonG
I don't even know that they let you out to Lake Michigan!
Glad that you are okay!
I see lots of yaks on the big Lake. You need to pick your days carefully and put a lot of thought into safety precautions. Inside the breakwalls of the Chicago harbor tends to be much calmer than the open lake. My mishap was in the open water in Wilmette. I go with a lot of safety gear including:

life jacket
wetsuit, depending on the water temps
extra flotation inside the yak
outriggers
bike flag, to be more visible to boats
cell phone in waterproof phone container
whistle
compass
Waterproof GPS
Waterproof marine radio
knife
bailing bucket and pump
paddle tether
a small spare paddle

Even a small item like sunglasses can be a life saver - Imagine the bind you'd be in if you were a mile or two out and got a fishhook stuck in your eye.

It's fun out there in the open water, though!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great set-up ron. IM tempted to put 2 rod holders up front instead of 1 up front and 2 in the back. That looks nice and it seems like easier to see hits. Also yea I'm gonna go to that lake Michiagn seminar soon, but even tho you use outriggers, have you done it without the riggers on the big pond before? I only plan on going on extremely calm days and I dont know if I wanna buy out riggers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
kman I have 2 rod holders in front and 2 in the back. For fishing on the big pond I would really recomend 2 in the front that can be horizontal. In my experience fishing for salmon it is a lot better having the holders horizontal to the water when using dipsy divers. I use scotty rod holders that i can also angle up. I dont have much experience using out riggers but ive never felt the need to use them with my kayak. It just depends on your kayak and how comfortable you are.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
kman711 said:
Great set-up ron. IM tempted to put 2 rod holders up front instead of 1 up front and 2 in the back. That looks nice and it seems like easier to see hits. Also yea I'm gonna go to that lake Michiagn seminar soon, but even tho you use outriggers, have you done it without the riggers on the big pond before? I only plan on going on extremely calm days and I dont know if I wanna buy out riggers.
Yes, I was out twice without the outriggers and came home with a limit of jumbo perch on outing #2, all caught on Kastmasters with no live bait.

The pics are from the day I capsized. As you can see, it was nice and still when I launched. The wind picked up without warning while I was out. Soon a small craft advisory went out but it was too late. I was stuck in the wind and the waves quickly built to 5 feet. My yak handled the big waves fine, but I had to repeatedly bail out water.

Getting to shore should have taken me 20 minutes, but it took me 90 minutes paddling as hard as I could. A few times I wasn't sure if I was even getting any closer to shore and was causing some anxiety.

I knew the landing would be wet with the 5 footers breaking near shore. A big wave spun me sideways on top of it and when it broke, it rolled the kayak over and dumped me out. Because of the height of the breaking wave, the outriggers did nothing to stop the roll.

The rods in front were locked in the rocholders, but I lost both because one rod holder openned up and the other top half of the rodholder came completely out. I also lost a 12V bilge pump. The Vexilar spent 5 minutes upside down in the water, but survived and works fine. I replaced it with a waterproof Humminbird LCD unit and added the GPS.

·
Registered
608 Posts
RonG.......WOW! What a nice kayak!!!!

Last Saturday, I stopped by Great Lakes Kayak in Lake Bluff! Two nice ladies who work there are Kayak experts! Not fishing but Kayak experts! I got what I want that they ordered for me is Malibu Mini X Fish and Dive! Hunter green color! I know it would be too small for out Lake Michigan but I main to fish ponds, small lakes, creek and slow moving river! Cost me 700 dollars incuding tax! I go pick up when it arrive in the store between 2 and 4 weeks. Save me shipping cost! I am 5' 8" and 150 lbs! My new kayak is little shorter than most kayak but 33.5" wide also 38 lbs which is good for me alone to fish! Will plan to add depth finder, rod holders for trolling, anchor..........more!
I fished Des Plaines River for pike from shore and soon get Kayak will get me to fish where I can't reach!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts