ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was cold and wet Saturday morning, but I fished my "secret" spot. Here's the view looking north-

Here's the view looking south-

Hey! Where is everybody???

I hooked a brown on a crawler, 5 feet down and 200 feet from shore while powerlining for cohos-

If it had not hit on the first hook, I never would have landed her. She took off on several runs and the idea of several hooks zipping through the air was scary.

Because I had no net, and the water was about 6-7 feet from the top of the seawall, I led her to the rock pile and beached her.

The fish was released to fight another day.

Here's a photo of two coho kept for the table-

See ya out there!

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Beautiful fish :)2 .

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Good Job

Not such a secret spot, but nice catch!

G

·
Great looking fish. Man, I have to admit, either it's the picture angle, or my eyes are tired, but that almost looks like a male steelie.

Good on you for knowing your quarry and releasing the fish for others to enjoy! Truth be told, I think the cohos are a better eating fish anyway.... ;)

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but figured maybe the camera shot wasn't that good. I don't see any of the tell tale spots, but sometimes the spots can be kind of light... With that sqaure tale, white gums... I'd say that is a steelhead too, but again, that's just judging by the picture...
Regardless, nice fish and nice catch :)2

G

·
Tubes77 said:
I was thinking the same thing, but figured maybe the camera shot wasn't that good. I don't see any of the tell tale spots, but sometimes the spots can be kind of light... With that sqaure tale, white gums... I'd say that is a steelhead too, but again, that's just judging by the picture...
Regardless, nice fish and nice catch :)2
Yeah, it's also got that silver green hue to it. I've never seen a brown with coloring like that. I would take the word of anyone with more experience fishing LM. I've really just started fishing LM last year.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. You lose some detail when the photo is resized. I'm 99.9% sure it was a brown. When it was fighting, it sounded for the bottom- typical of most browns. What makes me identify it as a brown is the lack of any spots on the tail and its football shape. I just wanted to snap some quick pics and get it back in the water ASAP. For the ID expert, I do have the 2.97 MB pic which allows you to zoom in and see every single detail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts