ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a write up in an outdoor paper about big head carp snaging near Peoria and was just wondering if anyone here has tryed it or is planning on trying it..... Let me know your thoughts or opinions about this activity....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking about taking a trip down to the dam and snaging some of them big mothers..... We should all do our part to try to clean up the Illinois River system and snag some Big Head/Asian carp.......

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here is what the 2008 fishing digest said about snagging in Illinois River:

SNAGGING

Anglers are permitted only one pole and line device to which can be attached no more
than two hooks.

Species of Fish and Snagging Catch Limit

(1) Only the following species of fish (excluding endangered and threatened species) andcatch limit may be taken by snagging:
— Asian Carp (no live possession) -nocatch limit,
— Carp -no catch limit,
— Buffalo -no catch limit,
— Freshwater Drum -no catch limit,
— Salmon (coho & chinook only) -5 daily,
of which not more than 3 may be of thesame fish species,
— Paddlefish -2 per day,
— Bowfin -no catch limit,
— Gizzard shad -no catch limit,
— Carpsuckers -no catch limit,
— Longnose gar -no catch limit,
— Shortnose gar -no catch limit, and
— Suckers -no catch limit.

(1) Snagging for fish is permitted from September 15 through December 15 and from March 15 through May 15 within a 300 yard downstream limit below all locks and dams of
the Illinois River, except for the area below the Peoria Lock and Dam where snagging is permitted year round.

So if you want to snag the Asian Carp, first you need to have a boat. None of the dam on the Illinois river you can get within 300 yard from shore ( including Peoria ). If you snag them outside the 300 yard limit, they can give you a ticket ;) . Two years ago, I saw a guy snag a few of the Asian carp from La Salle. He was using a heavy weight at the end and two big single hooks one and two feet above the sinker. A DNR officer came and gave the guy a ticket for $75 dollars. The guy argued that he was not snagging and the office say he saw him swing the rod back and forward and that is snagging. And the office told the guy "you can't catch the fish if you are not snagging, they don't take any bait." The officer told him he can keep the fish and don't release the fish back to the river :lol: what a joke. So, if the office think you were snagging, you can get a ticket too. I heard from somewhere a guy and his friend was throwing blade bait for white bass couple years ago and snag forty of them within a few hours. The also got a ticket from the officer. :)3

If you have a boat and don't mind cleaning your boat for the rest of the week ( they are bloody and smelly, bad for you boat's carpet ), you can go within 300 yard of any dam and snag some of them out of the river before May 15.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Took my son out on the river below Peoria last year for some carp snagging. Was a blast! We didn't have all the specialized gear, but made do with a couple baitcasters loaded up with some heavy line on sturdy catfish poles. Rig up a treble hook with some weight and went for it. Worked out pretty good. Got hooked up almost every other cast, tricky part was getting them to the boat. Those things are strong fighters! All my son could say after landing the first one was "holy crap, thats the biggest fish I've ever caught!" The ones we got seemed to run about 15-25 pounds, but I suppose there are ones bigger.
Just remember you have to kill them as soon as you catch them. Plus, they do tend to be a bit messy flopping around the boat. (not to mention the flying ones on the way there) If you want to try something different give it a shot. It is allot of fun to take someone not used to catching fish that size!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.