ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went there on sunday, only caught a bunch of bluegil. I went fishing off that pier closests to the boat docks,I couldnt really find a better place along the shore line, it was very weedy. I was wondering if anyone else has been there and found a better place to fish. I really don't want to have to rent a boat. The lake was really nice.

· Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Fishing was great 30 years ago at Blackwell, now not so much...

· Registered
1,623 Posts
the whole east end gets blanketed with weeds, and you can't run any kind of motor without burning it up. It really does get hammered constantly, and precious little stocking other than trout season. I don't even bother anymore. Although, I do know of a guy here on the forums that landed a 30lb+ carp on a crankbait there. Damndest thing.

· Registered
23 Posts
Blackwell fisherman

Was fishing Blackwell all last week. Lots of weed growth along the shoreline. If you can fish from one of the two fishing piers on Silver Lake, start there. Was catching Crappie, an occasional Trout and to my surprise a 9 inch Yellow Perch. But a lot of these people are right. The shore fishing can be a little hairy and you are constantly taking weeds off your hook. And if any boaters see you pull a fish in they will come 10 feet away from shore in your general area. If you have your sights set on the pier, come early and on weekends? Forget it. 5 Year olds running amock.

Don't underestimate the two small ponds by the Entrance. The catch and release pond was producing 7 inch Bluegill which I caught on Minnows and I caught a 12 inch bass. The one closest to the street was producing the same. Also saw a Catfish swimming in the Shallows and a Bass at least 20 inches swimming around near the shore. Hope this is helpful.

· Registered
600 Posts
Blackwell gets a lot of traffic, especially weekends, I suggest the following two areas. Once you learn these you can fan out to other spots.

1 Far South shore on main lake. ( I get bass and Pike there.) (Park in the lot to the right as you come in walk up the bike path, climb down to spots.)

2 Far South/West side along the road. (It's deep over there....)

Good luck, let us know how you do.

MJB

· Registered
3 Posts
2015 Trout Opener

Taught a guy how to trout fish today at the Spring Trout Opener - he caught 3, I got skunked. DNR said people were complaining. Guy 10 feet down from me limited out. A number of others had 2-3, but overall was slow for most people (considering we were there from 6am-12pm)

· Registered
108 Posts
Blackwell is a real nice lake. Has lots of bass, walleye and pike. It gets a lot of pressure though. If you kept following the pavement path around to the back half of the lake, you will find it gets pretty shallow. The other end of the lake moving towards and past the boat rental is deeper.

· Registered
1 Posts
I live a stone's throw away from Blackwell & fish it a ton since its next door - it is definitely a high traffic lake, but not nearly as much with boats. I take my kayak out and have caught 80+ crappie in one morning/afternoon, 10+ bass in a day, but then I'll get skunked some days. That's fishing. Some decent northern in there as well. One of which was about 36", but looked sick considering it was slowly swimming at the top of the water. They'll chase spinners/mepps/roosters/swimbaits near the shores. Giant carp in the lake as well.

In terms of the weeds, no question that parts get pretty stinkin weedy. Especially the channel connecting the two different parts of the lake. Weedless soft plastics and a braided line were my solution and have no problem with it.

Great place to try out new techniques, catch a few fish, and the forest preserve police are good people out there.

Hope that helped!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.