ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 12 foot boat from a neighbor for cheap. All i need now is an Illinois sticker, a wisconsin sticker and plates for the trailer. Does anyone know who i can call to get these and how much the stickers run for. Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
489 Posts
You only need stickers for the state the boat is kept in... Unless you live in wisconsin, you don't need anything except a fishing license... I have my current Sec of State renewal for trailer plates and its $18 yearly... The DNR sticker is about the same for 3 or 4 years... they both will have a "REGISTRATION FEE" of some sort, so for first time registration, it will cost you about 50-60 bucks to get her in the water... You can get the boat sticker forms from the DNR website, and i bet if you look in member services to the left, there will be a link of some sort... The Secretary of State will have to be handled in person the first time and after that you can renew your plates just like your car, except they expire on June 30th... hope this answers a question or 2... Johnny ô¿ô
:flag: :flag: :flag:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Matt, You should be able to go to your local DMV office and pick up a form for the trailer and the boat. I don't think you need a sticker for both states. If you live in Il. than all you need is the boat sticker of Il. and licence plates for you trailer in IL. Only other thing is if you need to get a certain permit to use certain lakes, but you should only need to get it from the state you live in.

triton01

·
Registered
77 Posts
ill sec. of state does NOT have the fourms to get a watercraft registration/title application. any boat dealer will have one for you. first time fee is $ 22.00 good for three years. if the hull is a 1972 or newer it needs to have a hull id # if not be perpaired to do some waiting and a runaround. know from first hand experience about that. :( in all i got my registration all strighten out . took close to 3 mo. though. if you have a trailer also you go to the sec. of state office and transfer the title cost to transfer title and get plates :eek: $ 79.00 plates were $ 18.00. hope this helps you out some.....Les

·
Registered
1 Posts
You only need stickers for the state the boat is kept in... Unless you live in wisconsin, you don't need anything except a fishing license... I have my current Sec of State renewal for trailer plates and its $18 yearly... The DNR sticker is about the same for 3 or 4 years... they both will have a "REGISTRATION FEE" of some sort, so for first time registration, it will cost you about 50-60 bucks to get her in the water... You can get the boat sticker forms from the DNR website, and i bet if you look in member services to the left, there will be a link of some sort... The Secretary of State will have to be handled in person the first time and after that you can renew your plates just like your car, except they expire on June 30th... hope this answers a question or 2... Johnny ô¿ô
:flag: :flag: :flag:
[/QUOTE
how much would it cost to get my boat and trailer titled plates and boat done at the same time cuz I asked around and they said about 400$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts