ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17' ft Mod V hull bass boat and I dont have any experience boating around barges. I was thinking of taking a trip on the IL river, but I dont want to get myself in trouble. Anyone have experience with how to handle this type/size of a boat around barges and their wake?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Your small enough to stay wide of them. Just stay uot of their boil,
You could spin around & around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah dont go in the boil Ive crossed thru in my 16 ft and it feels like your going to sink. Other then that you can easily stay out of there way. Just witch the cans and stay between them

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you see one coming down the river, be assured they don't see you. Get the f#$% out of the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
myself being a riverboat operator id advise you to stay clear of the tow and boat. we cant stop those barges like you do your car or boat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just want to reiterate what others have said about the boil. Steer clear. I was in the cal sag coming back in from the lake. a tug was pushing a barge from the side into a wall. we were at least 40ft from the barge and weren't even in the boil when he had is engines kicked up. It threw my 26ft cabin cruiser like it was a ragdoll. I had to punch the throttle and barely missed being thrown into the seawall. I thought I was at a safe distance but you never know. It could have been because the draft of my boat and that since it sat deeper in the water it caught more current, it could have just been the current itself. Just give the barge a wide birth, the screws on the barge is moving alot of water.

Mike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts