ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back from WIU for Spring break this week so me and my buddy decided to brave the cold and do some shore fishing. The day started off slow, with a couple hits, and a nice gill (bout 8 inches). The sun was shining and the wind wasn't blowing too bad, so it was tolerable.
Well, after a couple snags and two fishless hours, we switched from peices of shrimp to nightcrawlers and the weather turned nasty. There was a steady wind in our faces and big waves coming ashore. The fish didn't mind though because we started hitting them when the weather turned bad. Caught around 40 cats, 6 nice gills, a small bass and a small drum ( I was praying to the fishing gods for a drum all day so I could keep it and blacken it, but I forgot to specify on size because the one I got was only 10 inches. I did get it right before we left though so someone up top must have been listening haha.) All fish except a couple cats were C&R.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tough fishing................

but better than no fishing. Going to try Braidwood for the first time next Tuesday on spring break. Hitting LaSalle on Thursday, its my buddy's boat so I don't have a say! Are there facilties at the lake, or do I have to find bait and everything before I go? Got a map from Illinois Outdoors, and I have one of those depth finders you can cast, so maybe I will get lucky and bring something home for my favorite Mexican place to cook up for me.

Looking for some cats and gills, maybe a smallie or two from shore.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Tough fishing................

thewang said:
...Going to try Braidwood for the first time next Tuesday on spring break Hitting LaSalle on Thursday, its my buddy's boat so I don't have a say! Are there facilties at the lake, or do I have to find bait and everything before I go? Got a map from Illinois Outdoors...
For Braidwood bring everything (bait, tackle) you need with you. There are no bait shops. Suspect the same for LaSalle but don't know.

Boat carefully. Braidwood has a reputation as a prop killer.

The 1996 Illinois Outdoors Braidwood Lake map is useful, but doesn't give depth or boat hazard info.

Good fishing to you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Wang, when you are outfitting for Braidwood get a digital scale. Mark the ounces of each fish you catch and record your daily total. When we go to LaSalle let's put $10 on an over / under. I'll take 3 LaSalle fish to exceed your Braidwwod total, 3 is a push. :-D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Brodphish if I was going with you I wouldn't complain about the location. I never look a gift boat in the mouth because a bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work. And all the better if I can hitch a ride on somebody elses SS Minnow.

I am looking forward to getting into some of those Stripers @ LaSalle and you know Wang is all about the numbers. He wants a bucket full of nugget size fish (any kind goes) so he can haul them back to his buddy at the ethnic restaurant. Today's throw back fish is tomorrow's mystery meat in the Special of the Day.

Wang watch out for any Yellow Hammers down in Braidwood as you don't want to hear "Squeal like a pig". Hee-hee I'm kidding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, you guys are killing me!

:)

Turned out the guy bailed on Tuesday, "Too cold and rainy" Waa, waa.

Oh, well. Brodphish and I did great on thursday. Weather held and we scored 28. Stripers, yellows, largemouth, and nice channels.

Brodphish stomped me 19-9, but at least I got the first one.

If you get a chance, ask him about the one that "got away" and his new method of hunting giant fish.

And no, I didn't bring anything home for my friend to cook.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts