ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got 2 keepers today (1-15" and 1-17") and a couple of shorts but it was not a great day by any means.Windy and sunny fished from 7-12.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super-Fish, Since you are probably new to bass fishing I will explain.Keepers are a term for legal size fish,it does not mean I kept them,but they are the fish you are looking to catch in a tournament.Shorts are not legal size fish and you always let them go.I release all of my Bass and 95% of all the other species caught.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are those terms, "keepers" and "shorts", offical tournament definitions? I've always used the work "keeper" for a fish that I've keep'd.

I'm just trying to keep up with the lingo. I just found out that "bucket people" aren't fishermen with buckets but fishermen with buckets full of illegal limits of fish???? What's next?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The terms "Keepers and Shorts" are not official tournament words.They are used by guys that fish tournaments.Whether their in a tournament,practicing, or just fun fishing they always judge their day by how many Keepers they had.Tournament anglers do not keep their Bass.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the update. What term do the officials use for "keepers"?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The officials don't always use the word "Keeper.They use the word "limit" more,for instance-The winner had a five fish limit weighing 15.23#.That means if the lake min.for bass was 14",then the winner caught 5 fish that were 14" or greater.If someone brought in a fish that was 13 7/8 " it would be considered "short" and he would be penalized.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Then the officals would use the term "legal" to describe "keepers"?

How do your rule books describe them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Windy City Bassmasters club in their rule book,uses the following terms--Keeper fish,short fish and legal number of fish.This will be my last post on this subject.You guys are being too technical and I think you are just trying to piss me off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kipster on 2002-04-16 21:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kipster on 2002-04-16 21:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Windy City Bassmasters is based out of Lemont Il.It is a points only,draw tournament with monthly tournaments from april thru oct.Monthly meetings nov thru march.We do have a cash big bass pot.Awards dinner in dec.The top 8 guys in points go to the 8-man.We do have some openings if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Search Windy City Bassmasters on any search engine and you will find our website.Yearly dues are $55 and a 2 day tournament is $25.Email me with any other questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts