ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Braidwood on Thursday and only caught one small bluegill. Anyone with any help on this lake. It was the first time for me and not sure where to look and what to use. I went out of the North end. Thanks for any help.

G

·
Hey BASSN1. I have a hot spot that always produces nice size smallmouth and largemouth bass. You said you fished the north part of the lake. Here's the spot: When you put you're boat in the water, you want to head to the left, stay along the shore. You will come to a spot where a tree is sort of overhanging on the water. But this is only a good spot when it's sunny because the bass go in the shade under the tree. And if it's not sunny, try fishing the shores of the islands, the bass usually feed early in the morning, so that's when you'll have the best luck. You should try and get the lure as close to the shore lines as possible because that's where the bass hit. There are also some weedbeds on the lake that are good, but only when the fish move to open water and thats not or a little while yet. And as for bait, there are 3 things I can reccommend. First, some 4" Berkley PowerBait worms (texas rigged) Purple Flake color, Mister Twister 4" shad (on a white jig head)blue back sahd color, and Rat-L-Traps work like charms at Braidwood. Remeberm, it's early in the season. The best time to fish is right after the spring spawn which will be in a week or so, the water needs to get a little warmer. Good luck:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It seems like a nice lake but a little tricky with the water depths changing so fast. Hope to give it a try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is a tough lake to fish with the wind.Work med cranks and plastic on the wind blown shores and you will catch some nice size bass.Not quantity but quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Went there on Sunday and tried pretty much what you have suggested with no luck. Will give it another try though. I agree that it is a tough place because of the wind blowing so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the invite but I'm heading south to try some of the southern hospitality of my friends at Kentucky Lake. Should be a good trip despite what the fishing forum of Kentucky lake say's. Maybe some other time we could get together and try our luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts