ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FISHED BRAIDWOOD FROM SHORE WITH A FRIEND TODAY
HAD A GREAT TIME AND CAUGHT SOME FISH, BUT PLEASE PEOPLE LETS CLEAN UP YOUR MESS!!!!
YOUR NOT AT HOME!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It must be the casual fisherman, the infrequent weekender's that trash our lakes and rivers. I just can't believe that it's any of us that leave trash; we love the sport too much to do so. Anyway, it's a shame to see and I always tell my 6 and 4 year old that littering is bad. It's funny to see them react to strangers littering in public, they will point and call them out in the open and lecture them as I do to my boys. :-D
Chin,

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Between what blows out of boats and the vermin dig out of trash cans its hard to clean up. You notice most of it on waterline tells me its coming out of boats.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
/iagree

No respect from one end of the spectrum to the other.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The best thing we can do as outdoorsmen, and conservationist is clean it up ourselves. I always have some cheap old bargain garbage bags in my truck or boat, or I just throw my garbage in my livewell until I get it up on the ramp, and then find a trash can. Its up to us to not only clean up after ourselves, but to also clean up after the ignorent and sloppy casual fishermen. By setting a good example you wont altogether stop the slobs, but you'll feel good about doing it...

·
Registered
413 Posts
blufloyd said:
Between what blows out of boats and the vermin dig out of trash cans its hard to clean up. You notice most of it on waterline tells me its coming out of boats.
I fished from shore last year at LaSalle, windy day. When the wind would whip up from behind me, it swept the trash out of the rocks along shore into the water. I picked up a lot of stuff around where I sat and put it into the can, but those cans don't get emptied as often as they should.
It would be nice if they put out a dumpster to throw hefty bags of trash into. I have no problem picking up a bag's worth and disposing of it. Of course, you'd have cheap idiots abusing that, too, dumping trash from home.

Maybe it would help if they posted signs stating high fines for littering, with descriptions of typical trash around the lake, as many don't seem to know that empty nightcrawler and chicken liver containers, are trash.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Excellent idea fish56 only prob is having someone to actually enforce it. seems like this subject gets brought up every year with the same results. Like Richard Newel said probably need to pick it up ourselves. It is ridiculous but until someone starts handing out fines its not going to change. And the best way to hit these people hard is in the wallet. Seems like thats the only language they understand.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Heres the problem it cost money to put a dumpster in. It also cost money for someone to pickup the dumpster to empty it along with the garbage cans. An even if a dumpster was put in you get those people who have to pay for garbage pick up will drive there garbage over there and fill it up. Its a no win situation.

·
Registered
540 Posts
At McDowell Woods I'm forever picking up discarded crawler boxes, cans, fishing line and other crap. There are park distrct cans and dumpsters in convenient spots all over the park. The slobs just don't care. On many many occassions I see DFPD police driving through, but never, ever, getting out of there cars to at least do a walk around and talk to people fishing there. A little reminder for them to people using the area on rules and regs (and common sense) might help. There are info kiosks in place that remind everyone to help keep the park clean along with other regulations. Still getting out there and talking to the people would go a lot futher no matter the location. It's called law enforcement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts